Worm in poop?Maybe?

Oh shoot then every how many should they be dewormed
Many people, including myself, don't deworm unless they see signs. I haven't dewormed my chickens in many years. If they are kept in a large pen and fed a good diet, it usually isn't needed. If you really think they need the prevention (like if they are confined to a small space) and you can't send a fecal to a vet for testing, then I, personally, would deworm twice a year at most.

Last edited:
Many people, including myself, don't deworm unless they see signs. I haven't dewormed my chickens in many years. If they are kept in a large pen and fed a good diet, it usually isn't needed. If you really think they need the prevention (like if they are confined to a small space) and you can't send a fecal to a vet for testing, then I, personally, would deworm twice a year at most.
Ah okay since I’ve seen people say they are good at hiding them. Had two chickens last year with worms in may and December. Luckily caught them in time. The first they where really small barely noticeable and the others where roundworms since they where pretty big.

Ah okay since I’ve seen people say they are good at hiding them. Had two chickens last year with worms in may and December. Luckily caught them in time. The first they where really small barely noticeable and the others where roundworms since they where pretty big.
I can see why you are afraid them and want to prevent it from happening again. I'm sure others here have more experience with deworming than I do, so I think it would be a good idea to ask for more opinions on the subject.

I can see why you are afraid them and want to prevent it from happening again. I'm sure others here have more experience with deworming than I do, so I think it would be a good idea to ask for more opinions on the subject.
Yeah man I’m pretty sure I got severe paranoia from stuff like this also beginning of this year another had worms in their poop found out cause I was curious about their poop.

Yeah man I’m pretty sure I got severe paranoia from stuff like this also beginning of this year another had worms in their poop found out cause I was curious about their poop.
I understand. It's good you are paying attention to their poop. Are you able to get a fecal test done by a vet?

Every flock is different for worming. It depends on the worm load in your environment. Some can do once or twice a year and that's enough. Some have to worm more often. It just depends on what it takes to keep your flock healthy. I have to worm every 3 months for roundworm in my flock. Florida climate and soil is just really good for parasites. Often colder climates have less worm load, but it can vary a great deal, even next door neighbors can have different worm loads. If you have a vet that will run fecals for you, that's the best way to determine how often you need to do it. Many vets won't do it anymore without seeing the bird. So it may take some trial and time to figure out what's best for your flock. Certainly if you are seeing worms in droppings, sickness or other symptoms that point to it, then I would worm. Keep a log that you can refer back to, to help you determine how often (it's very easy to forget when you did it last and what you used). I would start with every 6 months, unless you are seeing symptoms sooner than that. Just make sure you are dosing correctly when you worm, underdosing can lead to resistant parasites. If you worm often it's also a good idea to switch up wormers periodically, to also help prevent resistance. I use Safeguard and Valbazen mostly, and alternate every 3rd or 4th time.

Every flock is different for worming. It depends on the worm load in your environment. Some can do once or twice a year and that's enough. Some have to worm more often. It just depends on what it takes to keep your flock healthy. I have to worm every 3 months for roundworm in my flock. Florida climate and soil is just really good for parasites. Often colder climates have less worm load, but it can vary a great deal, even next door neighbors can have different worm loads. If you have a vet that will run fecals for you, that's the best way to determine how often you need to do it. Many vets won't do it anymore without seeing the bird. So it may take some trial and time to figure out what's best for your flock. Certainly if you are seeing worms in droppings, sickness or other symptoms that point to it, then I would worm. Keep a log that you can refer back to, to help you determine how often (it's very easy to forget when you did it last and what you used). I would start with every 6 months, unless you are seeing symptoms sooner than that. Just make sure you are dosing correctly when you worm, underdosing can lead to resistant parasites. If you worm often it's also a good idea to switch up wormers periodically, to also help prevent resistance. I use Safeguard and Valbazen mostly, and alternate every 3rd or 4th time.
Yeah I live i Houston rained a lot recently went from cold to warm and humid in the span of a week.

Back
Top Bottom