Worm infestation

Ok! Thanks how do I give the pea sized amount to them then? Do I put it on food and feed them it or do I do something else?
You can have someone hold the chicken for you. Then put a dab of the paste on your finger. Use your other hand to pull down the wattles and her mouth will open. Then put the paste in her mouth and let go of the wattles and the hen will swallow it down.
Some folks draw the paste up in a needle-less syringe and do the same thing. I do that when dosing with liquid wormers.

Another option is that you can put the paste on a piece of bread and give a piece to one chicken at a time. The problem with that is that the hen may or may not eat it. Or another hen might steal the treated bread and run away with it.

You can have someone hold the chicken for you. Then put a dab of the paste on your finger. Use your other hand to pull down the wattles and her mouth will open. Then put the paste in her mouth and let go of the wattles and the hen will swallow it down.
Some folks draw the paste up in a needle-less syringe and do the same thing. I do that when dosing with liquid wormers.

Another option is that you can put the paste on a piece of bread and give a piece to one chicken at a time. The problem with that is that the hen may or may not eat it. Or another hen might steal the treated bread and run away with it.
Thanks for the help! I’ll be sure to try all the methods although I’m sure the finger trick will do with mine

That is some weak medicine. I wouldn't even bother with that stuff. Need to buy a stronger Fenbendazole product.

The dose is 22.7 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of body weight for 5 days in a row. Each capsule only contains 6.7 mg of Fenbendazole, so you would have to give 3.4 capsules per lb of body weight, so a 4 lb chicken it would take 13.6 capsules each day.

That product probably calls for 1 or 2 capsules per bird and that is severly underdosing them.

That is some weak medicine. I wouldn't even bother with that stuff. Need to buy a stronger Fenbendazole product.

The dose is 22.7 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of body weight for 5 days in a row. Each capsule only contains 6.7 mg of Fenbendazole, so you would have to give 3.4 capsules per lb of body weight, so a 4 lb chicken it would take 13.6 capsules each day.

That product probably calls for 1 or 2 capsules per bird and that is severly underdosing them.
Dang that’s pretty terrible! Thankfully it’s seemed to work for getting rid of rounds on my one hen but I’m gonna get something else for tapes

Also when using equimax should I fast my chickens? If so how long? Also by fasting does that just mean no layer feed? Or can’t they not eat grass etc in my yard either? And is water still ok for them?

Also when using equimax should I fast my chickens? If so how long? Also by fasting does that just mean no layer feed? Or can’t they not eat grass etc in my yard either? And is water still ok for them?
Go out to the coop early in the morning before sunrise. Snatch a sleeping bird off the roost and worm her, then release her. Do this to all your birds until they are all wormed.
Withhold their feed after worming for 3 hours, water is ok to drink. Then give them little feed at a time, gradually increasing feed rations back to normal throughout the afternoon. If you dont do this, they will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.

Your birds will have not eaten anything since the evening before, they will be starving, and so will the tapeworm(s). You'll be feeding the tapeworms Equimax and it will be very effective killing the tapeworms on an empty gut. You might even see white or off white in color sections of tapeworm excreted in feces or jellyfish like tentacles excreted.

Go out to the coop early in the morning before sunrise. Snatch a sleeping bird off the roost and worm her, then release her. Do this to all your birds until they are all wormed.
Withhold their feed after worming for 3 hours, water is ok to drink. Then give them little feed at a time, gradually increasing feed rations back to normal throughout the afternoon. If you dont do this, they will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.

Your birds will have not eaten anything since the evening before, they will be starving, and so will the tapeworm(s). You'll be feeding the tapeworms Equimax and it will be very effective killing the tapeworms on an empty gut. You might even see white or off white in color sections of tapeworm excreted in feces or jellyfish like tentacles excreted.
Will do! I’ll try waking up early as I can :lol: so after the 3hr mark I just give em a bit of food at a time?

We weren’t able to get everything yesterday so today will do.. they haven’t eaten anything since last night if I was to get the stuff soon would I still be able to do it? It’s 10:00 am now..

Absolutely.
Well folks already put the food out they looked like they didn’t eat much though but I’m sure it much rather works on an empty stomach than one with food.. I’ll just try next weekend and see

Back
Top Bottom