Wormed the chickens tonight. . .did I do it right?!

Jeepgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
This was my first time worming the chickens, and I'm starting to second guess myself!

I used "Agri-mectin" paste. It's a 1.87% ivermectin paste, and after all my reading, I thought the Ivermectin was the best for the chickens. I picked up each chicken, and placed a really small dot of worming paste on the skin under each of their wings.

I know I applied it correctly, but I'm second guessing my choice of wormer. . .should this be ok?! The package says horses only, and it could be fatal in dogs. . .I didn't see that until just now. . .I'm assuming that's if it's ingested, and not through the skin absorption?

Can someone confirm I did the right thing with the right medicine??!!

This was my first time worming the chickens, and I'm starting to second guess myself!

I used "Agri-mectin" paste.  It's a 1.87% ivermectin paste, and after all my reading, I thought the Ivermectin was the best for the chickens.  I picked up each chicken, and placed a really small dot of worming paste on the skin under each of their wings.

I know I applied it correctly, but I'm second guessing my choice of wormer. . .should this be ok?!  The package says horses only, and it could be fatal in dogs. . .I didn't see that until just now. . .I'm assuming that's if it's ingested, and not through the skin absorption?

Can someone confirm I did the right thing with the right medicine??!!

Well, I've got some news for you. Agrimectin equine paste is ivermectin. Ivermectin/agrimectin is about useless as a wormer in chickens. It wont kill capillary, cecal and tapeworms. Large roundworms are showing resistance to it as well. It might work well with horses, but not chickens. Additionally, the paste is given orally to horses. Putting a paste wormer on the skin under a wing, or any where else on chicken skin is useless and ineffective. Paste wormers must be given orally. Purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Whichever one you purchase, administer it orally undiluted to your chickens using a syringe without a needle. Dosage for either wormer is 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Then redose your birds again in 10 days. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.

Well, I guess all that research was for nothing. I guess at least I didn't kill my chickens and the wormer was only $5.

Well, I've got some news for you. Agrimectin equine paste is ivermectin. Ivermectin/agrimectin is about useless as a wormer in chickens. It wont kill capillary, cecal and tapeworms. Large roundworms are showing resistance to it as well. It might work well with horses, but not chickens. Additionally, the paste is given orally to horses. Putting a paste wormer on the skin under a wing, or any where else on chicken skin is useless and ineffective. Paste wormers must be given orally. Purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Whichever one you purchase, administer it orally undiluted to your chickens using a syringe without a needle. Dosage for either wormer is 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Then redose your birds again in 10 days. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.
Have you ever tried this? What do you think?http://www.abetterchicken.com/product/50101

Have you ever tried this?   What do you think?http://www.abetterchicken.com/product/50101

No, I've never used it. My understanding is that it's a good wormer. Hygromycin B is the wormer.

Back
Top Bottom