1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Talking about a wormer Valbezan and Safeguard . I use Wazine for both pigeons and chickens . It's time to re-worm , can you get these at a Feed supply store ? Most things like this I can cross use , but for the pigeons I have to recalculate doses . Smaller bird . Do these kill gapeworm and tapeworms ? I have ivomec that is formulated and all I have to do is put two drops in my pigeons . Got some Vitamins and Electrolytes at Tractor Supply and I had to lower the mixture to 3/4 to 1tsp per gallon of water for my pigeons . I know we need to alternate wormers so they don't get a resistance . I alternate from Novalsan to Oxine when I dis-infect lofts and coops for the same reason .

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have a question for those that worm there chickens,do you see worms in there poop or do you just worm them?I have had chickens for three years now and have never wormed them and check there fresh poop once in awhile and have never seen any wroms,they do get acv with the mother in it since babies in there water,some have said and I have read documentation on giving the acv that there is less chance of them getting worms becasue of them being so acidic on the inside.I really don`t like any kind of chemicals being given to my chickens.Any feed back on this would be appreciated.Iknow they probably have a few worms as they eat off the ground.

3. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks Dawg . Interesting .

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I don't worm either, I also give the preventives, there have been many threads on worming and there seems to be a split whether to or not. I've been called a hugger because I want to go as natural as possible, been told to wait and see you'll get them. Round worms come from the ground, if birds are left in a dirt run 24/7 I would suspect they should be wormed regularly, mine are not. I have a sand covered run and my birds free range on grass. Some will tell me I'm fooling myself but that's okay, I would rather not us poisons, just a personal choose.
    Michele

5. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Quote:I don't worm either, I also give the preventives, there have been many threads on worming and there seems to be a split whether to or not. I've been called a hugger because I want to go as natural as possible, been told to wait and see you'll get them. Round worms come from the ground, if birds are left in a dirt run 24/7 I would suspect they should be wormed regularly, mine are not. I have a sand covered run and my birds free range on grass. Some will tell me I'm fooling myself but that's okay, I would rather not us poisons, just a personal choose.
    Michele

Good point , we can over medicate and in many cases needlessly , although I am one to do preventatives . Fresh food and water and a good,clean habitat goes a long way in the health of
    our animals . I use ACV also .

6. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    By the time worms appear in their poo it's highly likely they will have a fairly severe case!

Prevention is always better than cure. Bare in mind that many herbal wormers are available, so need to worry about toxic chemicals. [​IMG]

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Michele

Good point , we can over medicate and in many cases needlessly , although I am one to do preventatives . Fresh food and water and a good,clean habitat goes a long way in the health of
    our animals . I use ACV also .

I totally agree with you. I remove poo from coop every other day, I use pine shavings (now that I put sand down to keep water out) and top with a small amount of straw, so poo just sits on top of it and I can use pitch fork to remove. I believe it is the combo of all of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by