Worming 5 week old chicks?

vantain

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Southern Minnesota
I am currently worming two older ISA Brown hens. They are in the same coop as the littles, but separated. The littles have their own run that is alongside the big girls run, and there is an opening in it to allow the littles to cross into the danger zone of the big girls. This means they are in contact with the feces of the hens that are being wormed. Is this a problem?

Also, the new run they are in is mainly dirt, but it does contain a lot of earth worms, which the little chicks find plenty of while digging around. I don't know what gives chickens worms, but I'm brining this up, since the littles can and do eat them. Should I consider worming the littles as well to be safe, or is this even necessary?

You would be smart to worm the 5 week olds since they're on dirt and eating worms. What wormer are you using?
I have safeguard liquid

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 7
Just a side note question on this topic: I use Medicated Chick Starter & Grower for my 3 week old chicks. I understand if I use that I should not use a de wormer.
Is that correct?
Your chicks are too young to worm. Medicated feed has no bearing with worming chicks or pullets. It is safe to worm birds. Medicated feed contains a small amount of amprolium to help build resistance against coccidiosis infections, a protozoa.

Your chicks are too young to worm. Medicated feed has no bearing with worming chicks or pullets. It is safe to worm birds. Medicated feed contains a small amount of amprolium to help build resistance against coccidiosis infections, a protozoa.
Ok, great! Thanks for clearing that up for me. My babies or Pullets show no signs of worms. Thank goodness.
Thanks a bunch. Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom