worming and heat stress

AndreaS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Hurdle Mills, NC
Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of mixed opinions on this topic, but I have decided that I will worm my flock annually. We have a huge wild bird population, and from what I've read, by the time worms become an obvious issue, the birds system is already overloaded. So anyway, the. Choice I've made is to worm with wazine first, and 2 weeks later use ivermectin drop on.

My question is this; I understand that worming puts a certain amount of stress on the birds body. We've had some pretty rough heat lately, and while I've been able to work out a system to help them keep cool, I'm still getting some panting. Should I wait until They are not under heat stress before worming? They are also getting ready for their first lay. I do know That we have to discard eggs for 2 weeks after each worming.

I have 5 chickens and They are 23 weeks old.

For those of you who worm, how much do you think it stresses your birds? Do you avoid doing it in the heat?

Thanks!!

Andrea

I worm once a year and I wouldn't do it in the heat. I usually wait until November when my girls have a slight drop off in egg production, due to the change of seasons anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom