Worming chickens

bmetz

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
I saw a roundworm in one of my chickens droppings this evening. I have wazine and plan to treat with that tomorrow. When is the best time to repeat it after the initial dose or do I have to use something else(I know it only gets rid of adults)? I have read the egg withdrawal period is 14 days. Safeguard(is the egg withdrawal for this one 14 days also?) is the only other one I think I have good access to other than wazine. Does it create resistance if you use more than one kind for "one total treatment?" I have seen some say if used wazine then use that again and others say use something else for second dose. Thank you!

I saw a roundworm in one of my chickens droppings this evening. I have wazine and plan to treat with that tomorrow. When is the best time to repeat it after the initial dose or do I have to use something else(I know it only gets rid of adults)? I have read the egg withdrawal period is 14 days. Safeguard(is the egg withdrawal for this one 14 days also?) is the only other one I think I have good access to other than wazine. Does it create resistance if you use more than one kind for "one total treatment?" I have seen some say if used wazine then use that again and others say use something else for second dose. Thank you!
Follow the instructions on your Wazine bottle - I believe you repeat in 3weeks (but read your label).
Wazine will treat roundworms only.

For using Safeguard (Fenbendazole) treatment for roundworms only would be dose each bird orally at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight once, repeat in 10 days.

Thank you! Do you know if egg withdrawal is 14 days for each of them? Wazine bottle just says a generic " worm every 30 days." So worm now and then 30 days later discarding eggs for 14 days after each worming correct?
Do you worm on a schedule or only if see issues/suspect worms? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thank you! Do you know if egg withdrawal is 14 days for each of them? Wazine bottle just says a generic " worm every 30 days." So worm now and then 30 days later discarding eggs for 14 days after each worming correct?
Do you worm on a schedule or only if see issues/suspect worms? Thanks again!
Since Wazine is no longer on the shelves and Safeguard is not FDA approved for use in poultry, you would have to do some research to determine what egg withdrawal period you are comfortable with.

Personally I worm a couple of times a year. Usually Spring and Fall. I may gather up an worm an individual bird if they are acting sick. A lot depends on your climate/where you live, etc. Some folks worm more frequently and some don't worm at all.

Thank you. Has wazine been pulled for safety do you know? I have read several articles that say to wait around 10 days and worm with wazine again. Not sure which would be the better choice. 10 days or 30. I live in Indiana. I was hoping if needed to worm I could do when they slowed down laying for winter...but they haven't. Lol. Bummer to lose the eggs but rather lose those than have my girls be unhealthy.

Thank you. Has wazine been pulled for safety do you know? I have read several articles that say to wait around 10 days and worm with wazine again. Not sure which would be the better choice. 10 days or 30. I live in Indiana. I was hoping if needed to worm I could do when they slowed down laying for winter...but they haven't. Lol. Bummer to lose the eggs but rather lose those than have my girls be unhealthy.
I believe that it's no longer being made. I have not read anything about it being pulled for safety reasons.
As for repeating Wazine treatment, I would follow the instructions that is on the label.

Just to be safe, you can do a 14 day withdrawal period. You many try Amazon for products, I could not get Nutri Drench at Dels/TSC since summer, so ordered from Amazon. Think it's the FDA that's making it very difficult to treat our own anymore :rolleyes: Possibly a prevention of "drugs" being used for other purposes than what it's intended for?

Thank you! Yes it is hard to find some of the products now! I know they have safeguard at tsc(always seem to be out of stock) and on amazon so that helps. I guess so- but we still need some options..frustrating. Most vets don't or won't treat chickens. There is an exotic vet place that is over an hour away that just to start off with is over 100 dollars for exam alone. Yikes! I wormed with the wazine and have not seen any worms in their overnight stool in their droppings tray(where I saw original). Makes me wonder if working...or maybe caught early?

I'm curious, if Wazine is no longer available, what is everyone using to worm their chickens?
Wazine (Piperazine) only treated roundworms.
Depends on the type of worms you are wanting to treat.
Valbazen (Albendazole) and Safeguard (Fenbendazole) are commonly used to treat most worms in chickens (roundworms, capillary worms, cecal worms, gapeworms). Number of days of treatment is also dependent on the type of worms you are treating.

For Tapeworms you would want to use Praziquantel.

Back
Top Bottom