Worming confusion.

Quote:
There's no need to be confused. Your environment plays a big role in how often you should worm. Here where I live, our soil is warm and moist most of the year. It is condusive for worms. I worm every 3 months. If you live in a cold, mountainous, dry place...you might only have to worm once a year (twice if necessary.) The drier the soil the better. Birds that are penned all the time on the same soil require worming more often. Sand in the pen helps keep internal and external parasites at bay, but doesnt completely prevent nor eliminate them. Sand helps keep the pen dry and dries quicker after raining...that's the key. It's up to you to decide when to worm taking in consideration all the environmental factors where you live.

Quote:
There's no need to be confused. Your environment plays a big role in how often you should worm. Here where I live, our soil is warm and moist most of the year. It is condusive for worms. I worm every 3 months. If you live in a cold, mountainous, dry place...you might only have to worm once a year (twice if necessary.) The drier the soil the better. Birds that are penned all the time on the same soil require worming more often. Sand in the pen helps keep internal and external parasites at bay, but doesnt completely prevent nor eliminate them. Sand helps keep the pen dry and dries quicker after raining...that's the key. It's up to you to decide when to worm taking in consideration all the environmental factors where you live.

So the fact that they are in a penned in a dirt run (dont free range) and weather or not the soil is moist has a play in this?

Quote:
Thank you so much. Your info has been very helpful. Sounds like being a Zookeeper was a really neat job.
I am sure that you learn so much performing a job like that. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Just want to add my thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. The information helped clarify things for me quite a bit. I am a first time chicken keeper with only 4 girls but like to take great care of them.

Back
Top Bottom