worming guidelines?

eastultz

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Is there a guideline for worming your chickens? I have 3 hens about 6 mos. old now. Or do you wait until you see a particular sign of need?

All three are laying nicely, and I'd like to keep them healthy!

Thanks in advance!

Some folks worm once a month. I would use Wazine in their waterer. Follow directions on amount to use.
Be sure to take water away the night before and give them medicated first thing in a.m. to drink all day.
If they have tape worms you will need something stronger like cow or horse wormer... Ivermectin. good luck..

But if you worm your chickens, can you still consume the eggs or do you have to throw those out?

I was looking at some type of meds in the feed store the other day and the container said you could not eat the eggs or the meat from animals treated. This was not a wormer med but I would still hesitate to eat the eggs. Unless I felt wormy...

At what age do you start worming chickens?
hmm.png

At what age do you start worming chickens?

Oh crap,, chickens get worms? Heck I thought you were talking about FEEDING them worms,,, poop....​

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used 'Wormguard Plus With Flax' ?Suppose to kill internal and external parisites and be 100% safe for eggs/meat. McMurray hatchery sells it. Says to use 1 and 1/4 cups per 50# of feed. Would like to hear some responses before we order any. Also, need some advice on sources for organic feed. Just finished our run and ,as of yesterday, have 10 Rhode Island Reds. They have already laid a dozen eggs! Should we leave their feeder and water outside in the run when we close them up for the night or put it inside?

The wormguard is just DE. Worming doesn't need to be done every month. A couple of times a year is usually sufficient. If you see signs of worms, by all means, go ahead and worm them. As far as eating eggs, usually with any medications, unless they specifically say you can never consume animals treated with it, a week will pretty much clear all traces of the medication from the eggs. You can see more about worming HERE . Good luck!

I use FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE)in my coop in their run and where they like to dust bath. In their coop I sprinkle DE on the pine shavings. I have never had any problems with worms, fleas, flies, etc.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom