Worming Med. Overdose! Please Help!

tinychicky

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Hampshire, U.S.A
my little sister gave the bantams TWICE as much wormer as they need!
he.gif
we put the wormer in last night and didn't realize we'd overdosed till about ten this morning, so they didn't have as much time to get the medication as they needed, but it was still twice the strength.
somad.gif
will my chickens be okay? please help!

Well to be honest all you really can do is watch them for any unusual sign's, more than likely they should be Ok depending on if you guy's really messed up and gave them way way too much. it is possible that they may go through some intestinal distress but you may never be able to see. It just has to run it's course, I am not a fan of this whole probiotic fad/trendy craze but perhaps feeding something that will coat their digestive tract may limit any distress.

AL

Well, I'm just guessing BUT here goes.
You doubled the strength of the wormer, but only allowed access to it for HALF of the recommended 24 hours. I would guess they are going to handle it alright?
Remove the wrong dosage and re-try in 14 days.
Don't beat yourself up, we all make goofs and pray for the best. Most of the time it works out fine, when it doesn't - we learn from it.
hugs.gif

Hope it goes well.

I would probably administer some milk thistle extract. You can buy this in capsule form from any pharmacy. Use 3 capsules per gallon of water (open them and drop in powder), or mix the contents of 1 capsule per cup of food. This is a natural liver cleanser and is very effective at removing toxins without causing side effects.

In future, you might want to consider natural anthelmintics. You can still eat the eggs and won't have to worry about future overdoses.

A great resource for more information are the books, "Backyard Poultry Naturally", by Alanna Moore or, "The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm & Stable", by Juliette de Bairacli Levy.

i am suspecting they will be okay, if it was only for part of a day. Just make sure they have plenty of fresh water now and keep an eye on them. Especially look for birds that seem ruffled or standing listless.

And, i would also like to know what wormer you used. Some are more gentle than others.

PS - i have accidentally used too much medicine in chicken waterers. Got my tablespoons and teaspoons confused in my head. It happens. Thankfully my birds were okay.

the name of the medication is "Wazine 17". they all seem to be okay at the moment, but i'll keep an eye on them. i'll try the milk thistle extract, thanks phasian
smile.png

we couldn't find the milk thistle extract, but we gave them something called "acidophilus" which is basically a probiotic blend. i'm still a little worried about my silkie rooster who suffered a nutritional deficiency because the worms got so bad before we realized what was wrong. a few of the hens also wouldn't come out of the coop when i tried to let them out to free-range
hmm.png

Quote:
Wazine won't hurt them so no need to freak out any longer, consider it a done deal, glad it worked out, Wazine is a low water soluable solution so like I said don't sweat it, most of the water soluable med's are pretty idiot proof.

AL

Back
Top Bottom