Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
I got Wazine 17 yesterday to worm my birds - my oldest is 6 and never been wormed.
hide.gif

But the instructions are for 800-1600 birds...
ep.gif
I have 9! So how should I go about giving it to them? How much? Should I put it in their water and confine them so it's the only water they get? Could I put it in yogurt or clabbered milk so they'll gobble it up?

TIA for any input and advice.
big_smile.png

We use the same stuff. If you look at the instructions it says to put 2 tsp I believe or Tblsp (check bottle) to 2 gallons of water or more simply 1:1 ratio. We have a water container that holds a gallon so we treat that and give the chickens that water for the day. At the beginning of the next day we give them fresh water. The only thing is you can not use eggs for awhile after giving them wormer. I have a thread in here from yesterday asking for how long. I think it is like 7 - 14 days.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I guess I didn't read the label far enough...
roll.png

It's really no big deal about the egg withdrawal. Sometimes I wonder why I keep chickens when I really can't stand eating eggs...
wink.png
And we have about 2 dozen in the refridgerator so there won't be a big shortage for baking stuff.

What about giving each bird a couple drops each, individually? It takes my girls about 2 days to go through 1 gallon of water, and they free range, so they have access to other water supplies - i.e. a ditch, a puddle, the cow's water, etc. I thought about putting it in something tasty like yogurt, but then they would not all get the same amout - pecking order and all that. So... Do you think it would work/be okay to take an eyedropper and give each bird a few drops, undiluted?

No. Just use a tablespoon per gallon of water and make sure it's the only water they can get to for a 24 hour period. No need to do anything else. Trying to dose them individually would be devastating most likely.

Oh, and they don't have to drink the whole gallon. They'll drink what they drink and it'll be close enough to the right amount of wormer to do the trick. Companies invest research to find out how much an average chicken drinks to get the formulation right. It's not that each chicken needs exactly a certain dose and you have to make sure they drink all the water given. Just let them drink what they will and throw the rest out after 24 hours.

Thanks for that info! I would probably have made them drink it all...
wink.png
I put it in a new gallon tonight. Tomorrow night I'll change it. Again, thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom