worming quail

Welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

The safest chemical wormer that does the least damage to birds is Wazine. It only takes care of round worms in the intestines, however round worms are the most common of worm in poultry. Wazine does not kill the worms, but it paralyzes them and the birds poop them out. It does not kill the eggs however, so another dose is usually recommended in 12-14 days.

If still want to use chemical wormers on them, Safeguard is another safe wormer to use and kills just about all worms except tape worm. It comes in a paste, liquid or pellet form to put into the feed.

Last edited:
One of the more "organic" remedies these days has been to diatomacous Earth (I am sure I misspelled it). the way the product works is It is the skeletal remains of a tiny creature called a diatom that has a sharp skeleton. it cut the cutin (although I not sure worms have cutins) as it passes through the gut. Now it would also do the same for eggs as their eggs are like a soft shell egg. I see a ton of post were people swear by it. I have tried it in the past few months, but without testing the bird after words I cannot swear it ridded the bird of worms. I guess I should also mention it is one of the treatments recommended in a Clemson work shop. It can also be use as a dust for lice, basically working the same way.

Yes. After I filled their bowl I sprinkled it on top so they would get it with the first mouth fulls.

Thanks, I'll give it a try, sounds better than putting household cleaner into their water.

Your welcome. I thought I try it a few moths back for the same reason. I hate to accidentally get the dosage wrong and kill something with some of the other chemical wormers. Most don't have small amount of dosing instruction then you have to try and guess bird weight or for the value your using instead of 100 gallon increments. I have way to much in myself to see it dead the next day. Good luck.

Ok well I will bring that to the attention of the 2 vets that head the poultry division of the state so they can change their recommendations. Because as i stated it was their recommendation. Thanks

Ok well I will bring that to the attention of the 2 vets that head the poultry division of the state so they can change their recommendations. Because as i stated it was their recommendation. Thanks
My problem with DE is that it IS a controversial issue. Some people swear by it, others claim it does nothing when wet.

So on this note, I would never trust it to rid an infestation in my birds. I want more proof than what a vet tells me.

Maybe you should do a test with it. Have your birds poop tested to see if they have worms. If they do, use DE for a period of time, and then have the poop retested. Then come back here and spill the beans about it.

I would be truly interested in knowing if it does work and would most likely use it on my own birds.

Back
Top Bottom