worming quail

A couple of comments concerning DE as an organic dewormer for poultry. First, DE has never been proven in scientific trials to kill internal parasites.I don't have the reference handy but could probably locate if pushed. Second, I doubt DE would have any effect on the ova of most roundworms or coccidia oocysts. These structures have a very hard shell designed to with stand harsh environments. Lastly, since DE themselves have sharp edges, how much harm might they do to the delicate intestinal epithelium? Damage to the intestinal lining may permit pathogenic bacteria access to the birds blodstream.

I'm really surprised to see people without worms, worming their quail. In almost 5 years of raising quail, I've never had a disease or parasite to contend with. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm just careful enough. However I would not treat a bird for something it did not have, especially if you might ever eat said birds (natural remedies aside I suppose). I personally feel solid biosecurity can help to avoid most poultry diseases. I'm not saying there aren't extenuating circumstances especially for those who live in areas where a lot of people keep fowl.

What works for me:

I don't bring live birds home EVER.

I don't let strangers or anyone that raises birds around my cages, feed bins, bird stuff storage areas etc.

I keep my cages clean and dry and I wash my hands a lot when I'm working with my birds.

I sell birds by picture and they are boxed up for the buyer when they arrive. My ad makes it clear that I do not allow perspective buyers on the property. I have one large cage they can see from about 20 feet away at the foot of my driveway and thats as close as anyone besides me ever gets to my birds. If buyers want to return birds to me I have them meet me at a friends house and I process the birds there. Even if I raised them they don't get to come back onto my property after they leave.

Even when my friends come over they know to stay the hell away from my cages. I have tons of pictures on my computer I let them look through instead.

Welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

The safest chemical wormer that does the least damage to birds is Wazine. It only takes care of round worms in the intestines, however round worms are the most common of worm in poultry. Wazine does not kill the worms, but it paralyzes them and the birds poop them out. It does not kill the eggs however, so another dose is usually recommended in 12-14 days.

If still want to use chemical wormers on them, Safeguard is another safe wormer to use and kills just about all worms except tape worm. It comes in a paste, liquid or pellet form to put into the feed.

Last edited:
I guess I should have said that I only use Ivermectin for mites as a study shows that it's not an effective poultry wormer even when used in much higher doses than the recommended amount.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

I would love to see a study on DE like the the one above, surely one exists? And what side effects are there from daily inhalation of it?

-Kathy

@TwoCrows , I'm not trying to pick a fight, lol, just sharing info I have found.
big_smile.png
f I have read it correctly, which I might not have, this study says that Safeguard *does* kill tapes.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

I would love to see a study on DE like the the one above, surely one exists? And what side effects are there from daily inhalation of it?

-Kathy
Funny you should ask. Last night I started a search on this, and windows decided it needed to "update". So when I re-started the 'puter this morning, this link was the first on my search. I think everyone (following this post) should read it.
James

edited to add the comments in ( )

Last edited:
Quote: Here Here!!!

Quote taken from this article.....At the end of the day, my feeling is that, if you want to treat the parasites in your flock, use a treatment that works....has been designed to work, and has been proven to work.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to say more. THANK you James for posting this article!!!

Back
Top Bottom