worming quail

No PhD here, lol, but I can tell you that I tried using DE and it didn't work for me, so now I use fenbendazole, praziquantil and ivermectin as suggested by vets, published studies and books like Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, Clinical Avian Medicine and Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual. Of course all birds are weighed and then dosed in mg/kg, no exceptions.

-Kathy

if you read my Original post one of the things I had stated is I have just tried it myself. Prior to that I had been using chemical means to rid my flock of worms. I was using ivermectin because it targets a wide selection of parasites. But I went and used this after the work shop because one of the side affects stated right on the bottle of ivermectin I purchased that it can cause temporary sterility for up to 6 months. Now if all i raise real common stuff like contunix I probably wouldn't care and just use that, but when you raise rare extremely hard to come by birds that are also very expensive you hate to lose a year's worth of production to worming them and by then its time for another dose. actually had that problem with some high dollar finches, had a ton of eggs, but almost no babies. Next year I didn't use it and not bad based on species, because lets face it a pair wouldn't cost $250 if they were popping out everywhere.

But I tried De because those two vets did impress me with there knowledge even though I had some of the top game bird breeders telling me I should try it for over a year, but I to couldn't find any info at first as I always like info from extention services over the people selling a product no matter what it is and they gave it to me.

I guess I should have said that I only use Ivermectin for mites as a study shows that it's not an effective poultry wormer even when used in much higher doses than the recommended amount.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

I would love to see a study on DE like the the one above, surely one exists? And what side effects are there from daily inhalation of it?

-Kathy

SCgamebirds, the best thing you could do here is to do a test on your own birds. Plain and simple. Have your birds poop tested for worms. If any are present, then use DE for what ever time period you feel necessary, then have your birds poop retested, and then come back here and post the results. If you are pushing something about DE that is coming from a vet, and you have not yet proven it to work in your own flock, then you can not tell people that it does work.

Ivermectin is also one of those things that may or may not be effective on internal worms as well.

So to get back to the original thread starters question on worming, Fendendazole, (safeguard) is a very safe wormer to use. It is used on many types of animals all around the world and is proven to kill all worms, with the exception of Tapes, safely in the body. Why mess with products that are not proven.

If someone that is new to birds here on BYC, and has a flock full of worm infested birds, why steer them to something that may not work. I have been hanging out in this quail section for nearly 3 years now. And I have seen so many threads here where their birds are dying from worms. New people are vulnerable and if steered in the wrong direction, they can lose their entire flock.

If you personally have a personal favorite, unconventional way to treat your birds, then that is fine. No one is telling you how to worm your birds. But lots of people are going to read this thread, and if they are new to this stuff, should be using treatments that are known to work. Later, after they have experienced more with their flock, they can experiment and gravitate in other directions.

All this being said, do a test. I am very curious myself, as I personally don't think DE does work internally. But if it does, I have learned something new. So, get on it! :)

Last edited:
@TwoCrows , I'm not trying to pick a fight, lol, just sharing info I have found.
big_smile.png
f I have read it correctly, which I might not have, this study says that Safeguard *does* kill tapes.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

I would love to see a study on DE like the the one above, surely one exists? And what side effects are there from daily inhalation of it?

-Kathy
Funny you should ask. Last night I started a search on this, and windows decided it needed to "update". So when I re-started the 'puter this morning, this link was the first on my search. I think everyone (following this post) should read it.
James

edited to add the comments in ( )

Last edited:
@TwoCrows , I'm not trying to pick a fight, lol, just sharing info I have found.
big_smile.png
f I have read it correctly, which I might not have, this study says that Safeguard *does* kill tapes.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.
Kathy, you are not picking a fight. :) I am thrilled to know that it does kill tapes! I never knew this and now I know!

Good, because now I can recommend Safeguard for tapes in quail. Thanks Kathy.....Leyla :)

Quote: Here Here!!!

Quote taken from this article.....At the end of the day, my feeling is that, if you want to treat the parasites in your flock, use a treatment that works....has been designed to work, and has been proven to work.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to say more. THANK you James for posting this article!!!

Back
Top Bottom