worming quail

I'm really surprised to see people without worms, worming their quail. In almost 5 years of raising quail, I've never had a disease or parasite to contend with. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm just careful enough. However I would not treat a bird for something it did not have, especially if you might ever eat said birds (natural remedies aside I suppose). I personally feel solid biosecurity can help to avoid most poultry diseases. I'm not saying there aren't extenuating circumstances especially for those who live in areas where a lot of people keep fowl.

What works for me:

I don't bring live birds home EVER.

I don't let strangers or anyone that raises birds around my cages, feed bins, bird stuff storage areas etc.

I keep my cages clean and dry and I wash my hands a lot when I'm working with my birds.

I sell birds by picture and they are boxed up for the buyer when they arrive. My ad makes it clear that I do not allow perspective buyers on the property. I have one large cage they can see from about 20 feet away at the foot of my driveway and thats as close as anyone besides me ever gets to my birds. If buyers want to return birds to me I have them meet me at a friends house and I process the birds there. Even if I raised them they don't get to come back onto my property after they leave.

Even when my friends come over they know to stay the hell away from my cages. I have tons of pictures on my computer I let them look through instead.

I've read about that, it's called a closed bio-security system I think. Yery smart advice! Are there any hints or early warning signs to parasite infestation that you would look for other than going to the expense of fecal testing by a vet? I think I've gotten a bit paranoid reading this thread. I just want to take care of my birds but sure don't want any unnecessary chemical application, and sure don't need a vet bill for testing if it can be avoided. I get so confused, LOL.

Like Kathy and some others here you will learn to become a poopoligist. Watch their stool for blood, unusual coloring, runs, etc.. Also watch the size/weight of the bird as Kathy suggested. When you see a birds all "quilled up" as I call it (puffing all of its feathers up and staying that way), something is wrong isolate that bird with haste. It may just be that it's caught a chill or it could be an early warning to something worse. Also most states offer free necropsies to try to avoid the spread of avian disease, if you don't know why your bird died send it in so they can tell you. Do not allow the birds to consume wet/moldy food waste and do not allow their environment to become too damp. I build a square out of 2x4s turned edgewise with 1/2"x1/2" wire across the top (looks sort of like a dirt sieve) and I place the feeders and waterers on this. Any wasted food or water cannot be reached by the birds.

California charges $120 for necropsies for gamebirds, but chickens, turkeys and waterfowl are free, limit two per submission.

-Kathy

Thanks so much for the information. Speaking of poop, it seems their poop is firmer than before, almost like little balls where as before it just fell through the wire before. I have changed their feed to a brand that actually listed the amount of calcium because before I got paranoid about worms I got paranoid over on the calcium thread, LOL.

I know this is off topic but I've been a bit worried about this. They always have plenty of water so I know they aren't dehydrated. Thanks

Thanks so much for the information. Speaking of poop, it seems their poop is firmer than before, almost like little balls where as before it just fell through the wire before. I have changed their feed to a brand that actually listed the amount of calcium because before I got paranoid about worms I got paranoid over on the calcium thread, LOL.

I know this is off topic but I've been a bit worried about this. They always have plenty of water so I know they aren't dehydrated. Thanks
Probably just adjusting to the feed. It should be a relatively firm ball of poop but not hard. My wire cages are 1/2" mesh and the bigger birds poop doesnt fall through they push it through by walking over it.

Back
Top Bottom