{ Worming tablets for chickens ? }

-Chicken Lady-

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
New Zealand
I was told by a friend that you can give chickens cat/dog worming tablets and they will do the same effect? I'm not an expert with this and this would be my first flock of hens since I was a kid, so any help would be much appreciated.
wee.gif

If I can't give them dog or cat worming tablets, what should I buy for them? I imagine it would be chicken worming tablets haha but I'm really not sure.

And what schedule should I be worming them on? Is it a monthly thing or..?
D.gif

Thanks~!

why do you feel that you need to worm them? If they are not showing signs of worms I would not do any thing at all. Just be a good flock manager. Keep a clean house, with adequate space, good ventilation and ways to keep your hens busy. (to keep them from picking on each other)

Agree, excellent information in the link provided by TheChips.

The issue with using dog/cat tablets is going to be dosing. If you use a liquid wormer such as Safeguard or Valbazen it's much easier to dose correctly. It also matters what the active ingredient is in those pills. Some wormers are only effective against round worms for example and there are many more worms a chicken can get. If you are going to deworm and discard eggs you might as well use something effective. Also keep in mind that, whatever you use, you need to repeat the dose in 10 days to clear out any worm eggs that hatched in the meantime. That is the hatch cycle. Wormers don't kill worm eggs only adult worms.

My problem with deworming only when you see evidence of worms, i.e. worms in the poop or birds in poor condition is that by the time you see those signs birds are often heavily infested with a lot of internal damage as a result. In my opinion it's always better to stay on top of the situation rather then let it get to the point of damaging your birds health. Chickens are going to get worms at some point in their lives just due to their lifestyle.

why do you feel that you need to worm them? If they are not showing signs of worms I would not do any thing at all. Just be a good flock manager. Keep a clean house, with adequate space, good ventilation and ways to keep your hens busy. (to keep them from picking on each other)
Occasional worming is healthy for them. Its taking preventative measures.

Back
Top Bottom