Worming- when do you do it?

Quote:
How long after worming are eggs edible again?

Depends on the wormer. I know one person that uses the same wormer I do - valbazen (albendazole) and doesn't throw the eggs away at all. While I wouldn't recommend that, I can tell you that albendazole is what is commonly prescribed to treat worms in humans, so I can't see where it would harm you.

Some folks worm routinely (even more often than once a year). Some never worm. Others only use natural products, that may or may not work.

My thinking is, I worm my dogs and cats once a year. My dogs are on heartworm preventative they take each month. Why would I treat my chickens any different?

Definitely should observe a witholding period of 14 days before eggs or meat are eaten if giving albendazole (and most other wormers, see label for witholding period, some are longer). Albendazole is a teratogen, meaning it causes serious birth defects, so it is a major hazard for pregnant women or any women that may become pregnant OR any man that may contribute to a pregnancy. It can also cause liver problems in rare cases in adults.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what I'm wondering. Is it a general maintenance thing or a treat-when-infected thing?

Quote:
Depends on the wormer. I know one person that uses the same wormer I do - valbazen (albendazole) and doesn't throw the eggs away at all. While I wouldn't recommend that, I can tell you that albendazole is what is commonly prescribed to treat worms in humans, so I can't see where it would harm you.

Some folks worm routinely (even more often than once a year). Some never worm. Others only use natural products, that may or may not work.

My thinking is, I worm my dogs and cats once a year. My dogs are on heartworm preventative they take each month. Why would I treat my chickens any different?

Definitely should observe a witholding period of 14 days before eggs or meat are eaten if giving albendazole (and most other wormers, see label for witholding period, some are longer). Albendazole is a teratogen, meaning it causes serious birth defects, so it is a major hazard for pregnant women or any women that may become pregnant OR any man that may contribute to a pregnancy. It can also cause liver problems in rare cases in adults.

As I said, thats just what one friend of mine chooses to do. I would never chance it, not with my drug allergies.

P.S. You can't check the label on albendazole for egg withdrawel period, since it's used off label. There are no instructions on the bottle for giving it to chickens.
I did once find a website for a guy in Alabama that was selling very small (3-4 oz.) bottles of a broad spectrum wormer "especially for chickens". He was charging something like $25 for that tiny bottle. Some sleuthing and it turns out what he was selling was albendazole, just put in smaller bottles.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it was an individual oral dosing either. I figured you would put it in feed or water but then some would get more and others less and you really couldn't be sure if it was effective. Thanks, everyone, for the info...Off to pick up the wormer...the hard part will be convincing someone to help...

jo

Quote:
There are some wormers that can be put in the water - I believe wazine can - but again, wazine only treats roundworms. I believe (but could be mistaken) that most of the broad spectrums are going to require handling on each chicken; whether to put it on their bodies or to give orally.

A word to the wise - valbazen is not cheap. I think I paid about $35 for a very large bottle. I just made sure the expiration date was years away.

Quote:
There are some wormers that can be put in the water - I believe wazine can - but again, wazine only treats roundworms. I believe (but could be mistaken) that most of the broad spectrums are going to require handling on each chicken; whether to put it on their bodies or to give orally.

A word to the wise - valbazen is not cheap. I think I paid about $35 for a very large bottle. I just made sure the expiration date was years away.

I think I paid about $35 for a very large bottle.

That sounds about right. Last time I got it (in the early spring) it was around $30 for 500 ml.

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
I do each bird individually.
I use Ivomec Injectable as flowing,

You will need a syringe and needle to get ivomec out of the bottle, after you get the Ivomec you can take the needle off.
Now holding the birds mouth open drip Ivomec it into the back of its throat. The other method is to apply the correct dosage to a piece of bread, then feed it to the bird you are treating.
Here is the dosage per bird and size.
5 to 7 drops orally for adult size birds.
3 to 5 drops orally for bantam size birds.

Take care not to eat the eggs after treating with Ivomec until the treated fowl has laid at least five to seven eggs.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom