Worming While Antibioticing

msuple2

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2016
Cleveland Texas
Hello,

My chickens: Approximately 75 adult layers, 150 pullets/cockerels, and 100 chicks (isolated, indoors). They are completely free to roam my property and fed a diet of brewers grains and occasionally cracked corn and oyster shell. They get all of the grass, grit, and bugs they desire.

The problem: We started noticing bubbles in the eyes of a few birds and some that will not open their eyes at all. Combs on some are pale. We have noticed this in the past but the chickens seemed to just get over it before we could diagnose the issue. Now that it has happened again, and we think we know the reason we tried to treat it early. Ultimately we figured it was MG/MS, and started a cycle of Tetracycline Hydrochloride. About 5 days into treatment we started to notice worms in the stool. and one who had a visible worm in the eye.

The question: We don't want to stop the antibiotics mid-cycle and it could still be MG/MS. Is it safe to worm the birds while treating with Tetracycline? What is the best way to worm a large flock? Is there a water soluble wormer that can be added to their drinking water? Orally administering ivermectin to 225 birds just doesn't seem feasible.

Thanks in advance.

I would say yes it is ok to give both at the same time.
Have you determined the exact type of worm they have?
Different wormers treat different worms.

I would say yes it is ok to give both at the same time.
Have you determined the exact type of worm they have?
Different wormers treat different worms.

They are roundworms. I haven't noticed any more than one with the eye worm. I'm wondering if a roundworm could somehow find its way into the tear duct

woahhhh...hold on.
Let me call an expert over here real quick...I'm not sure if putting that in the eye is a good idea or not.
@casportpony Is it a good idea to put ivermectin in a chickens EYE??

Properly fed birds can fight off lots of things without medication.
Brewers grains are deficient in several nutrients. Cracked corn makes it worse. Unless you live on pristine forage in a tropical environment, that many birds can quickly deplete all the available animal protein on a range.

Additionally, unless you've had lab work to identify the problem, it may not be a bacteria that tetracycline can cure. It could just as easily be a virus.

How long have you been raising chickens without a complete poultry ration?

Last edited:
Oh ok...I personally never heard of it..
I have no problem reading! ;)
I have plenty of room for learning new things!
Thank you!!

Properly fed birds can fight off lots of things without medication.
Brewers grains are deficient in several nutrients. Cracked corn makes it worse. Unless you live on pristine forage in a tropical environment, hat many birds can quickly deplete all the available animal protein on a range.
this may be the exact cause to all your problems. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom