Worming with Horse Wormer (Safeguard & Panacur)

That is fantastic to hear! Sounds like you did an excellent job. :thumbsup
Thank you so much for the update! We really appreciate you taking the time.

If you happened to have a camera in hand when you are looking at her...I'd love to see a pic of the healing process. But only if it works for you. :)

I've read about people using horse wormer to worm their birds, but I've always wondered how much Safeguard/Panaur (Fenbendazole) paste one would use. So i decided to do some weighing and math. As it turns out, you would give the same amount of paste as you would the liquid. For example, if you usually give a bird one cc of the liquid, you would give one cc of the paste.

This is applies to Fenbendazole only, not Ivermectin and it's probably only useful to those that worm by mouth as I don't know if the paste would mix properly in the water.

Let me know if this is not clear enough since I seem to have trouble writing what I mean, lol. I'll post pictures later, that might make it easier to understand.

Hello!! I am pretty new at being a chicken mom. I’ve had my chickens for about 7 months. My father in law got them for me so I didn’t see where they came from and was told they were about 3 years old. Anyways, long story short, A few weeks ago I found worms in my chickens poop. I’ve done tons of research and come to find out it’s tape worms. There wasn’t whole worms, just the small end of the tails that the worms detach. I tried researching and ordering the right wormer but come to find out they don’t sell anything like that for poultry especially here in California. Anyways at first I bought the LevaMed Soluble Drench Powder for cattle and sheep. Quickly I found out that there is no way I could possibly measure that out and give it to them. I did some more research and came across the Safe-guard (fenbendazole) 25 gram Paste 10% (100mg/g). My question is, after giving them the first dose, how many days do I have to get rid of the eggs? And Do I give it to them a second time? if so, how many days after do I do that? Do I get rid of all the eggs in between the first dose and second dose? Also how do you go about giving it to them? I’ve heard putting it into a small piece of bread. Sorry this post is so long. I’ve been reading and researching this for days now and haven’t been able to come up with a straight answer. Any answers or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so so much!!! -Jessica

Hi Jessica, the most effective way to treat tapeworms is with praziquantel. So if I were you I would go to tractor supply and get some Equimax horse paste (praziquantel and ivermectin) and give each. 5 pound hen ~0.16 ml to 0.3 ml of the paste.

Safeguard must be given several days in a row to treat tapes and even then some people have reported that it doesn't work very well.

Does that help at all?

This is what I would use
equimax_1.jpg

Yes that helps big time!! I will go tomorrow and get some. Thank you so much!! So I should give them between 0.16 ml and 0.3 ml? Did I read that part right?

Yes that helps big time!! I will go tomorrow and get some. Thank you so much!! So I should give them between 0.16 ml and 0.3 ml? Did I read that part right?
Minimum effective dose is 0.16 ml per 5 pounds, max dose is 0.3 ml per five pounds, so give no less than 0.16 and no more than 0.3.

Minimum effective dose is 0.16 ml per 5 pounds, max dose is 0.3 ml per five pounds, so give no less than 0.16 and no more than 0.3.

Thank you! I ordered some yesterday so it should be here in the next two days. When I give it to them is there a withdrawal period for the eggs? Also how do you Normally give the paste to the chickens? Thank you so much for the info! I really do appreciate it!

Thank you! I ordered some yesterday so it should be here in the next two days. When I give it to them is there a withdrawal period for the eggs? Also how do you Normally give the paste to the chickens? Thank you so much for the info! I really do appreciate it!
Did you ever determine an egg withdrawal period and which horse wormer did you decide on?

Back
Top Bottom