Worming with Valbazen

CityChicker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Hey Everyone!

I want to go through and worm most of my flock and was able to recently get a big bottle of Valbazen as my feed store had some they had ordered in. I decided to try the Valbazen on the recommendations of a couple people here. We have never used it before. Has anyone used it for waterfowl? Can it be dosed in the water or do I need to catch each bird and do it individually? (keeping in mind we have a couple hundred birds).

Also, does anyone have a link to exact dosing instructions for poultry? I did read about doing another wormer first and that is no problem as I know we have Wazine, Ivomec, and Safeguard on hand. No need to debate whether it is necessary to worm or not, LOL. It's a done deal. I just have never used this wormer.

Thanks in advance for your input.
smile.png

CityChicker, before you use Valbazen, you'll first want to get some Wazine from TSC and kill all the round worms in your chickens. Valbazen will kill ALL worms, but killing roundworms and others at the same time more than likely will overload your chickens' ability to dispose of them from their overloaded system. That could kill your chickens.
For more information on this, read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385238

WORMING
YOUR CHICKENS - FROM THE GOSPEL of JAMES (Chapter dawg53 1-2-3)
1. Wazine17 - two ounces in two gallons of water for one day - dump eggs for two weeks
...Ten days later:
2. Valbazen -one half cc/ml for standard size chickens, one quarter cc/ml for smaller chickens including silkies. You can use an oral syringe to squirt it down their throats individually or you can inject it into a small piece of bread and give each chicken a piece of bread....they gobble it up. - dump the eggs for two weeks
3. ...after a couple of days of using each of both wormers....give your chickens plain yogurt or buttermilk(probiotics), canned beef cat food (extra protein) with scrambled eggs all mixed in their feed and give it to them to build up their immune systems, do this about 3 days in a row. Then you'll have healthy, happy chickens lol.
The next time you worm,say in about 6 months or whenever you see fit...you can use the Valbazen first, no need to use the Wazine 17 unless you want to. Please PM anytime and I'll be happy to help you with worming. Jim.
Buy a quart of buttermilk, pour it into a large container with a gallon of milk. Let the five quarts sit at room temperature for 24 hours, stirring occasionally, and you'll have five quarts. Save a quart to use with another gallon of milk later.
BTW, buttermilk will keep for a very long time in the refrigerator.
Store in a glass container(s).

Last edited:
Quote:
Valbazen is the safest first time wormer..Valbazen slowly starves the worms over a two-five day period, wazine practicly paralyzes on contact often times flushing all the worms(adult roundworms) out at once..It only takes about 30 or 40 adults worms depending on the size of bird to clog the intestines..Theres no other worms that are large enough, Or it would take hundreds of all others combined to cause any harm by a massive kill off, If that be the case the bird would be so emaciated that just the stress of worming would kill the bird anyways...

Quote:
Valbazen is the safest first time wormer..Valbazen slowly starves the worms over a two-five day period, wazine practicly paralyzes on contact often times flushing all the worms(adult roundworms) out at once..It only takes about 30 or 40 adults worms depending on the size of bird to clog the intestines..Theres no other worms that are large enough, Or it would take hundreds of all others combined to cause any harm by a massive kill off, If that be the case the bird would be so emaciated that just the stress of worming would kill the bird anyways...

Earlier this year I dealt with tapeworms...I found a section that looked like a cooked piece of flat macaroni about 4-5 inches long. Fortunately I had used wazine 2 months earlier and followed up 2 weeks later with ivermectin pour on. Had I used valbazen right off the bat on the tapeworms....I wouldve had massive worm blockage and possibly killed my tapeworm infected chickens. IMO wazine in that instance was the way to go as at that time I was not aware of valbazen until I researched it on here, ordered it, and dosed my chickens accordingly to take care of the tapeworms. Odds are that most chickens dont have tapeworms. Not knowing whether they do or not, I always recommend wazine as a first wormer to lighten the wormload IF it's a FIRST time worming.

Okay, guys...thank you for all the information. I will check out that other thread as well. Thanks again.

I use Valbazen at least once a year and I've never had any problems.

I do notice that the birds just seem to perk up and look better about a week after the dosing.

Quote:
I agree. I prefer valbazen over all the other wormers, it kills all types of worms more so than any other wormer. But even after no more than 2 days after using wazine, I've seen mine perk up as well...just goes to show how devastating worms can be on our chickens. I have to worm every 3 months due to the heat and humidity, the soil here is very condusive for worms.

I actually am going to use it mostly for ducks. We have never seen much issue with internal parasite in ducks, by I still think it will be useful to do it since we are now out of the breeding season and have all of our birds caught up. Might as well do them all now, even though most are probably fine. I do have one good sized group of Runners that were basically a rescue from a large scale breeder that was selling out. I say basically a rescue because I went in to it not knowing that's what it was. They sent me the birds and as soon as they were in the mail and paid in full, they emailed me to tell me the birds were in bad shape.

I really think their main problem was that they were starved nearly to death. They are looking great now and most really rebounded just by being fed and given access to bathing water. They are back to normal weight for the most part, but I still think worming is prudent in this case. As a side note- Some of them had the worst Bumble foot I have ever seen in my life. I was shocked they could walk (and actually that it has healed so well for the most part). That should tell you though the filth they must have been kept in. Most of them had at least 2-3 areas of Bumble foot on each foot, with some areas being as large as gum balls. I suspect that things just went downhill for the breeder when they weren't able to keep the birds clean in their winter enclosures, as I think the infection would have killed them eventually had they had it for months (although now that I say that, I guess they could have already lost birds annd these were just survivors). Waterfowl are certainly strong and resilient!

Last edited:
You can use tricide neo for the bumblefoot. There was a thread here recently where a BYC'er had a pic of the bottom of her ducks foot....it was horrible looking, ALL bumblefoot. With about a 2 months of soaking the ducks foot in tricide neo, the bumblefoot had all cleared up. I've used it and it works...although it can be time consuming depending on the size of the bumblefoot on the chickens feet.

Thank you. I think I am going to try that for the last few stubborn cases. Luckily, most of them have improved greatly already.

Back
Top Bottom