Worming with Wazine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartgard
smile.png

Last edited:
Ran across this thread today searching for some universal wormers.
Excellent information, this thread has been a huge help.
I am setting up my Emergency Kit as well as planning schedules for my flocks.
Have found several good links for meds that interchange with pigs/goats as well!
Just wanted to thank you for the posts.

Pour on actually gets dropped on the bird. I get the generic (not Ivomec brand) ivermectin (not eprinex) in the smallest bottle as only 1-6 drops are needed per bird. Mine was $14 for 250 ml which will last me ages.

I use a 3cc syringe with a 25 gauge needle - NOT that I will be injecting it, but because I find making drops from a hypodermic needle to be more accurate than doing so with a dropper. You hold the bird in your left hand against your body, with the syringe near (and uncapped). Find a place on the body (not the crest/wattles/legs) where there's a spot of naked skin. The lower back of the neck is a good place as there is little down there, easy to find a spot by pushing the down aside. You drop 1 to 6 drops there based on the dosage below. If you hit the fluff, then put a drop to replace it. I hold the needle pointing to the side of the bird, horizontal not up and down towards the bird. that way if she jumps, I don't poke her. Then just drop the drops on the naked skin.

I use that time also to carefully examine all of my birds - their weight, their abdomens, their vents if they're supposed to be laying (and even if not), their breathing (listen to it and feel the vibrations of it with your hand to feel for wheezing or rattles)... also for parasites (tho ivermectin does kill sucking lice for sure over a few days).

The dosage is:

1 drop for a small "micro" bantam, say the size of an OE hen
2 drops for an average small bantam - OE male, small bantam hens
3 drops for an average bantam sized bird or small hen
4 drops for a commercial sized hen or small large fowl hen
5 drops for a commercial sized roo or average large fowl hen
6 drops for larger bodied laying type birds
7 drops for giant breeds

As always I do recommend worming first with wazine if:

- the birds are under 4 months of age
- the birds haven't been wormed in over 6 mos w/broad spectrum wormer
- the bird is of an unknown worming history
- the bird is shedding worms, or their flock mates are shedding worms

That caution is to prevent an unknown heavy infestation from causing shock or blockage in a bird. Some say 'just do it' but I like to treat every bird of mine as if it were the most valuable irreplaceable bird in my flock. And so that's the advice I give to others - as if theres were that $500 once in a lifetime bird. That doesn't mean I recommend expensive things, but I darn sure don't recommend stuff that I think could harm.
smile.png

Again I still recommend the pour-on of all the ivermectins because it has a chance to stay on the bird longer than the pour ons do through the mouth.
One other question I had... I also have geese, ducks and guinea fowl.
Can they also be treated, anyone know?

My vet told me to use Safegaurd at 50mg/kg by mouth and repeat in ten days, but since then, I read an abstract and think that worming at 20mg/kg three days in a row will probably work better.

50mg of Safeguard is 0.5ml
20mg of Safeguard is 0.2ml
1kg is 2.2 pounds
ml = cc
Paste or liquid, same amount is used.

-Kathy

Should also mention that Safeguard is safe to use in all animals, other wormers are not. Note that Safegaurd should not be used during molt or breeding season according to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.
-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom