Worming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Renee22, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Renee22

Renee22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Southern Ohio
    I need to know what kind of wormer to use for 3 hens. I went to Tractor Supply today and they said all the wormers made in the U.S. you couldn't eat the eggs for 30 days afterwards and that I'd have to look in Europe or someplace and order some. I have a hard time believing this! I've only had chickens for about 3 months, so I'm confused as to if I even NEED to worm, as they seem very happy and healthy and only get dried mealworms, a laying crumbles feed and lots of whatever table scraps they'll eat: mainly seeded fruits and leftover corn on the cob or bread products. I have two Rhode Island Reds, about 6 mths old and 1 Amber Link that I was told was only about 6 months old when we got her, but I believe to be MUCH older b/c we knew nothing about chickens and had originally gotten her with a supposedly young Golden Comet. When the comet went "belly up" less than 2 mths after we bought her, I pretty much assumed the guy we bought both from was lying. The Amber Link has produced MAYBE a dozen eggs in 3 months, so she's probably towards the end of her laying cycle, but I love her and will keep her until she dies. Anyway, if anyone can help with the worming question, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    WELCOME!! [​IMG]

I worm my birds every 2 months just to be on the safe side. Are they in a run with grass and dirt? chickens love to eat bugs( Which have worm eggsin them)
    after worming wait 2 days to eat the eggs. i use pieperzine-an all around poultry dewormer. hope that helps

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I recommend you type "worming" in the BYC search box...you'll find alot of info on it.

5. Renee22

Renee22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Southern Ohio
    Yes, we have them in a run about 6 feet long by 3 feet wide, completely enclosed with chicken wire. It has an elevated coop about 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 at the end. We just moved them to their winter location so they have fresh grass/dirt to peck in, but I have a covering of shavings down as well, just to try to keep the odor issue under control since they are so much closer to the house. It's much easier to rake it than have them standing on mud after the grass is beaten down. They're getting dried mealworms and occasionally I will make a foray to the live bait store and get them some wax worms and/or nightcrawlers. Someone else told me pumpkin seeds acts as a natural wormer too. I will check on the name of that wormer you mentioned and thanks!
    Also, thanks for the welcome! <G>

Let me clarify that I also feed them laying crumbles and lots of table scraps! They don't just get worms and dried mealworms, lol.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I agree with searching since there is already so much good info on worming.

[​IMG]

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the high desert of California.

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by