Worming!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cazychicgirl, Oct 12, 2014.

1. cazychicgirl

cazychicgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Ok, 2 weeks ago I wormed my flock for the 1st time with Safeguard. No, I didn't see worms but it was a good time for my flock and I just felt the need to worm them. Today I went out to feed them and such and noticed a round worm in one of the chickens poop. Now I don't know what to do. I have Wazine here that I was thinking about using it if it was ok. I guess my question is, is it too soon to worm again (even if it is a different product)? Or are the worms I'm seeing actually just being passed from the Safeguard I already gave? Help please....

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    We worm our flock in the early spring just before they start popping out massive amounts of eggs. I have used Wazine in the past and withheld the eggs for 30 days. (I cook them up and feed them to our English Setter.) On Wazine, it states not to treat poultry used for egg production. But we have and are not dead yet! They just don't want to spend the money on testing.

The problem with worming is that you have to do it twice in a row to make sure you got them all. At least that is what I have read and practiced. We have also used piperazine which I am told has no withholding period. We do withhold them though. All wormers are different.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The only approved wormer for chickens in the US is piperazine (Wazine) which now has a withdrawal period listed. It only kills some roundworms (not all) and I never bother with it. All other worming products are off label here, with no approved withdrawal periods listed. I use Ivermectin, which gets everything except tapeworms, and also kills mites and lice. I withhold eggs for about a week because I feel better about that, and don't feed those eggs to anyone, as I don't want to promote resistance to that drug. Safeguard is a nice product, but may need to be given for three days (or more) in a row, as in dogs and cats, to be effective. Who knows? There's no available research to show what works in chickens, or a withdrawal period. I'll stick with Ivermectin, unless a tapeworm problem actually appears in my flock. Mary

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wazine and piperazine are the same.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Go ahead and use the wazine, one ounce per gallon of water. Put it out before you let your birds out of their house in the morning. It must be their sole source of water to drink during the day. Then remove and discard after they've gone to roost that night.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I quit using ivermectin when I saw large roundworms in feces a month after administering it. Come to find out that its effectiveness as a wormer isnt good at all in poultry. It's most likely due to its overuse as a miteacide in poultry rather than its primary purpose as a wormer.
    You're right, safeguard is given 3-5 days in a row depending on the types of worms. I use safeguard in that manner in rotation with valbazen and sometimes zimectrin gold if I'm dealing with tapeworms.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Ahhh! Thanks! I know for next spring. All the warnings on Wazine 17, and none on the Pig Swig, very confusing that they are the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by