Worms and lice on chickens your going to eat

Rbrown369

Songster
Dec 21, 2019
Vancouver island. Bc. Canada.
I have some older birds we were going to slaughter like 1-2 years old but they have had the poultry lice or mites on and off and worms.
I’ve treated them a few times and it does get rid of it but I don’t know if right now they have it I’m going to inspect them but, is it okay to eat them if they do have lice, mites or worms? I have piperazine di hydrochloride powder and I can give them that first, but do I have to wait behind slaughter if I do that ?

Lice are fine, I imagine mites are, but not sure about worms. It most likely is fine, and there' a fair possibility that some of the ones that I have butchered had some, and I have not noticed any problems.
I am not sure about withdrawal times.

There will be no harm to you if you eat them even if they have mites, lice, or roundworms. You are not eating that part and cooking will take care of anything associated with them. Piperazine is only useful on roundworms, not any other type of worm.

Withdrawal times get complicated. In Canada and Australia there is no withdrawal time for piperazine for eggs or meat. In the US there is a 14 day withdrawal time for meat and eggs are to never be eaten. That may be because the formulation is different, it is mixed with different things. I'd contact the manufacturer of that specific product and see what they said.

Back
Top Bottom