Worms and Worming - Warning, Graphic Pictures and Videos

Quote:
I've read through this entire thread and still have questions. I have ducks and geese (and have had for years). I've never dewormed them before, but they are looking kind of raggedy and at least a couple of the geese have diarrhea. I'm wondering if they have worms of some sort, so I thought I'd deworm. It's hard finding accurate info!

I don't have time to catch them all every day for five days in a row. I need something I can put in their food or water.

I don't care about off-label use. These birds are mostly yard decorations. I feed the duck eggs to my dogs (but I can throw them out for awhile) and the geese are done laying for the year.

Are waterfowl parasites species specific or are there some parasites that could be transmitted between geese, horses, and dogs?

Should I use fenbendazole or ivermectin and at what dosage?
Find a vet that's willing to do fecals, collect a bunch of fresh poop from as many ducks as possible, place poop in baggie, stir well, and take to vet for fecal. The vet will then be able to tell you what worms you have and how to treat them.

And read up on each of these:
Internal parasites (endoparasites, worms, helminths)

Gastrointestinal roundworms (nematodes)

• Acuaria spp ~ Dispharynx ~ Synhimanthus spp. $. Gizzard worms. Gizzard, esophagus and proventriculus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in birds kept outdoors.
  • Ascaridia spp. $$$. Chicken roundworms. Small intestine. A serious problem worldwide, also in confined operations.
  • Capillaria spp. $$. Hairworms. Crop, esophagus, small intestine, large intestine.
  • Heterakis spp. $$$$. Cecal worms. Cecum. Probably the most threatening worms in all kind of poultry operations worldwide.
  • Oxyspirura spp. $. Fowl eyeworms. Eyes. Usually a secondary problem in individual birds kept outdoors.
  • Strongyloides spp. $$. Threadworms, pinworms. Small intestine. Can be a serious problem worldwide.
  • Subulura spp. $. Cecum and small intestine. A secondary problem in birds kept outdoors worldwide.
  • Syngamus trachea. $$. Gapeworms. Trachea, bronchi. A serious problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Tetrameres spp. $. Proventriculus and esophagus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in outdoor opertaions.
Tapeworms (cestodes)

• Amoebotaenia cuneata = sphenoides. $. Small intestine. Usually a secondary issue in most poultry operations
  • Choanotaenia infundibulum. $. Small intestine. Usually not a major issue in modern poultry operations.
  • Davainea proglottina. $. Minute tapeworms. Small intestine. Can be a problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Raillietina spp. $$. Small intestine. The most frequent tapeworm in poultry, however normally not a major problem.
Flukes (trematodes, flatworms)

• Prosthogonimus spp. $. Oviduct flukes. Oviduct, bursa of Fabricius. Can be a serious threat for birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
Source: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933

-Kathy

I emailed Holderread's to find out what they do. I've purchased some of my waterfowl from them and they've always been really helpful.

Here's the reply:

We do not routinely deworm our waterfowl, but if necessary, we recommend using an oral dose of 1% injectable Ivermectin for Cattle & Swine (NOT Ivermectin + clorsulon) at the following rate: 1/10 cc per 4 pounds of bird. Let me know if you have any questions about the instructions.

I emailed Holderread's to find out what they do. I've purchased some of my waterfowl from them and they've always been really helpful.

Here's the reply:

We do not routinely deworm our waterfowl, but if necessary, we recommend using an oral dose of 1% injectable Ivermectin for Cattle & Swine (NOT Ivermectin + clorsulon) at the following rate: 1/10 cc per 4 pounds of bird. Let me know if you have any questions about the instructions.
That equals 0.6 mg/kg. Your best bet would be to have routine fecals done because there are studies that show ivermectin is not effective in treating capillary worms. And it's not just studies... I know several people that have lost birds to capillary worms because the chose to use ivermectin instead of fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur) or albedazole (Valbazen).

Send an email to Metzer Farms and ask them the same question.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom