Worms from grasshoppers

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Trying to figute out what worms my birds have. They're from the grasshoppers here, I know it and one of my birds had them so I'm sure others do too. They looked almost like cucumber seeds in her poop bit they definitely moved. I know workers only work for certain worms bit I don't want to give the wrong o e and have it not work.

I didn't get a picture of the droppings that I saw with them and I can't find any more of her droppings with them, even when she was in her cage. I was more concerned with getting the droppings out of there before she or another bird could start picking at the worms

Sounds like proglottids aka tapeworm segments. Treatment is Equimax equine paste found in the equine section at a feed store. Dosage is 0.03ml per pound or 0.15ml for a 5 pound hen given orally. Repeat dosing in 10 days. Here's a photo what they look like:
tapes seg.jpg

Yes, thank you. That's what they all looked like. Looks like I'll have to weigh them all individually. Too bad I can't just put it in their water.
Sounds like proglottids aka tapeworm segments. Treatment is Equimax equine paste found in the equine section at a feed store. Dosage is 0.03ml per pound or 0.15ml for a 5 pound hen given orally. Repeat dosing in 10 days. Here's a photo what they look like:
View attachment 2285173

Yes, thank you. That's what they all looked like. Looks like I'll have to weigh them all individually. Too bad I can't just put it in their water.
You dont have to weigh all of them, just use an average weight. It'll save you time.
I forgot to add that you dont have to worm all of them with the Equimax, only the birds that excrete the tapeworm segments. They are not like roundworms where you'd have to worm all your birds.

There can be many different intermediate hosts for tapeworms, one of the rare chicken worms. Beetles, snails and slugs, earlthworms, and flies are some of those hosts. It is interesting that grasshoppers may be as well. Removing the hosts, cleaning up droppings as best you can, and keeping their bedding dry and clean, can keep them from becoming reinfected.

Back
Top Bottom