Worms? I have so many questions...

BackyardBuffys

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
Harford County, Maryland
Hi all! Hoping someone can help me with all things worms.

I was scooping poop on Sunday and noticed one that had thin, white looking strands that I can only assume are worms. After some research and looking at other posts with images, I believe they are roundworms, but maybe also cecal worms. I was so grossed out I forgot to take a picture (which I know would have been helpful!). I also scoop the poop every morning (we have sand), and this is the first time I've noticed this, so hoping I'm catching it early.

Here are some of my questions:
  • My BOs just went through their first molt. I inspected butts and no one has a gross rear end, but 3 of the 4 have pale combs and one is going through the molt bad. Can molt decrease their immunity opening them up for more worms? (I have 10 birds total)
  • Can anyone share the differences between roundworms and cecal worms? I was having trouble finding good photos that looked like what I saw.
  • Would round or cecal worms show up in eggs? Just want to be mindful of the eggs we are eating
  • I was reading about Safeguard for goats. What would be the dosage / duration be? Would this even help?
  • Should we throw any eggs out if we are unsure of the worm situation?
  • Should I also treat the run?
Thank you!
Robyn

Molting birds can have pale combs, generally they are out of lay during this time.

Roundworms are long spaghetti looking worms found in the intestines. Cecal worms are smaller and shorter and found in the ceca.

IF there's a heavy infestation, then a roundworm could find it's way into an egg. You would see if when you crack the egg.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dosing is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms Only.
To treat other types of worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworms, Fenbendazole dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
Fenbendazole should not be given during molt since it's know to affect feather quality in molting birds.
Valbazen can be used to treat worms in poultry excluding Tapeworms. Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weigh given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

Egg withdrawal periods can vary, do your research. General consensus is 14 days after last dosing.
As for throwing out eggs on suspicion that your chickens may have worms? Eh...as long as you cook the eggs, it should be fine.
If you are worried about worms - the best way to find out more is to take some poop samples to your vet for a fecal float.

1638850818445.png

Thank you this is very helpful! After seeing this diagram, I believe what I saw was cecal worms. I checked again this morning and didn't see anything. I've been putting garlic in their water, is that something that can help or is that just a myth?

Should I keep watch on things before treatment or should I just do it as a precaution?

Thanks!
Robyn

Molting birds can have pale combs, generally they are out of lay during this time.

Roundworms are long spaghetti looking worms found in the intestines. Cecal worms are smaller and shorter and found in the ceca.

IF there's a heavy infestation, then a roundworm could find it's way into an egg. You would see if when you crack the egg.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dosing is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms Only.
To treat other types of worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworms, Fenbendazole dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
Fenbendazole should not be given during molt since it's know to affect feather quality in molting birds.
Valbazen can be used to treat worms in poultry excluding Tapeworms. Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weigh given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

Egg withdrawal periods can vary, do your research. General consensus is 14 days after last dosing.
As for throwing out eggs on suspicion that your chickens may have worms? Eh...as long as you cook the eggs, it should be fine.
If you are worried about worms - the best way to find out more is to take some poop samples to your vet for a fecal float.

View attachment 2920804
This is a very informative helpful post.

Everything I've been told by vets, handbooks, and this site, says Valbazen IS used to treat tapeworms. Please let me know if this isn't accurate. I know the OP isn't looking at tapeworms, I just want to make sure the info is correct. Thanks.

Everything I've been told by vets, handbooks, and this site, says Valbazen IS used to treat tapeworms. Please let me know if this isn't accurate. I know the OP isn't looking at tapeworms, I just want to make sure the info is correct. Thanks.
Yep, that's what it says on the bottle too.
Take it from me, I've dealt with tapeworms many times over the years. Initially Valbazen eliminated them, but in time, I noticed that Valbazen wasnt getting the job done.
That's when I started using Zimecterin Gold and/or Equimax equine paste which contains praziquantel. The praziquantel eliminates tapeworms PRONTO.
I still use Valbazen. It's my go to wormer and it eliminates every type of poultry roundworm.

Yep, that's what it says on the bottle too.
Take it from me, I've dealt with tapeworms many times over the years. Initially Valbazen eliminated them, but in time, I noticed that Valbazen wasnt getting the job done.
That's when I started using Zimecterin Gold and/or Equimax equine paste which contains praziquantel. The praziquantel eliminates tapeworms PRONTO.
I still use Valbazen. It's my go to wormer and it eliminates every type of poultry roundworm.
Thanks for the clarification. That's good to know that those others work better for tapeworm. 👍

Back
Top Bottom