worms in chick poop...what do i do??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by veronica2368, Jun 6, 2010.

1. veronica2368

veronica2368 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    newville pa
    Hi all, we got 9 8 week old chicks back in may, and recently I thought we had an outbreak of coccidiosis...I treated them for the coccidiosis, and they seemed to perk up..it was only one or two birds that seemed ill. After a week of treatment they all seem great! However, when i noticed the sick peep in the beginning, I had first noticed some blood in some poop. It was a barred rock that I saw poop the bloody poop. She didnt seem ill though..it was a rhode island red that seemed sick. She perked up after the sulfadimeoxine I think thats what it was called. Anyway they all seem fine, and I go into the coop this morning on the little chick side, and I notice some poop on top of something that is bloody..still....and I dont mean blood colored...I can actually distinguish the blood clearly from the poop. As I was looking I saw a WORM! there was actually a whitish worn in some poop.....it looked like a thin piece of angel hair pasta..it was about and inch or so long. it was dead of course but still definitely a worm.

I wonder, did I not have coccidiosis in the first place? and i really had worms?
    Not sure how to treat for worms or what kind it is. I could take a picture of it..eeww...but I could.
    thanks everybody for the help.
    Veronica

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

My best advice is to do a search.

Use the search in the upper blue bar - just above your logged in name - I would search wormer dosage. You can search individual forums or the whole of BYC.

Eeeww - I feel for you and the chicklets.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like a roundworm to me. You need to worm all of them with wazine17. Follow the directions on the bottle.

4. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
  5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by