Worms in eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FantasyFriesian, Sep 15, 2014.

1. FantasyFriesian

FantasyFriesian New Egg

Apr 15, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Well I've read about this but I never thought I'd see this. Two worms in an over easy egg from my own flock. I keep my coop clean and dry, use only straw, chickens have unlimited free range, and all appear healthy. I use organic feed, fresh water but I will admit I've never used chemicals on my girls. I am going to start the raw ACV in their water asap and would like some input about this. If I'm seeing them in the eggs I'm sure they're heavily infested. I plan to worm the flock with Piperazine and then with Panacur in two weeks so I don't overwhelm their little bodies. If anyone out there has an organic free ranging flock please give me some input as to how you deal with worms. I know that people cannot get infected with roundworm or tapeworm from chickens, and I could clearly see the worms in the white of the egg because as I cooked the egg it turned a purple/black color which made it very prominent. While I gave that egg to my dog (who enjoyed it thoroughly) I am wondering if I need to toss my eggs? I've never seen this in all my (5) years of raising chickens. I still cooked another egg from the carton and it was completely fine. I don't think I will be able to pin point which chicken is laying the egg with the worms so it's inevitable I will need to worm them all.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dawg 53 is the real authority on worms here. Valbazen is a very good wormer that gently kills worms over several days, and is safe to use. I believe this is pretty rare to see a worm in an egg, but I know it's possible since I have read about it happening before. Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for most average size chickens by mouth and repeat in 10 days. Panacur is also good (same as SafeGuard,) but you may not want to use it during a yearly molt because it can affect feather growth.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Obviously you have a worm infestation, you need to worm all your birds. I recommend valbazen as a first time wormer. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic dead worm overload which can possibly kill a chicken. Valbazen is the only wormer that slowly kills worms...other wormers act like a flush in which large roundworms can clog the innards. Repeat dosing with valbazen in ten days. I also recommend that you start a regular worming schedule now that your soil is contaminated with worm eggs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
    http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&products_id=29

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    After seeing that picture, I just ordered more wormer. Lol

5. FantasyFriesian

FantasyFriesian New Egg

Apr 15, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Luckily I just moved two weeks ago so I may be able to get this under control without having to use to many chemicals on my birds. Thanks for the replies and I will order that wormer tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by