Worms In Fecal

Smmarques1

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
i woke up this AM and found fecal matter left by one of my hens with worms in it. I’ve wormed them in the past, however this is the first time I’ve actually seen the worms. Can anyone tell me what kind of worm this is and what’s the best treatment

Attachments

• 09102EDC-B7B6-4382-B34C-70AF8BD04867.png
    09102EDC-B7B6-4382-B34C-70AF8BD04867.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
i woke up this AM and found fecal matter left by one of my hens with worms in it. I’ve wormed them in the past, however this is the first time I’ve actually seen the worms. Can anyone tell me what kind of worm this is and what’s the best treatment
They've got round worms.
You can use either Safeguard or Wazine to treat.
I am 2 days into the low dose Safeguard that is effective against roundworms but requires no egg withdrawal. The dose is 1 mg/Kg for 5 consecutive days. I dilute Safeguard liquid goat dewormer 1:10. I multiply their body weight in pounds by 0.68 to get the number of mls (ccs) and draw it up using a 1cc syringe. You have to shake up the concentrate and the diluted Safeguard very well as it is just a suspension. I then squirt the dose into a tiny piece of bread and feed it to the chickens one by one. I do this at night just after they've gone to roost.
I will also say my dose is 1.5 mg/Kg as the study I read stated that the egg residues for the fenbendazole metabolite was below the maximum level at that dose so it's safe.

They've got round worms.
You can use either Safeguard or Wazine to treat.
I am 2 days into the low dose Safeguard that is effective against roundworms but requires no egg withdrawal. The dose is 1 mg/Kg for 5 consecutive days. I dilute Safeguard liquid goat dewormer 1:10. I multiply their body weight in pounds by 0.68 to get the number of mls (ccs) and draw it up using a 1cc syringe. You have to shake up the concentrate and the diluted Safeguard very well as it is just a suspension. I then squirt the dose into a tiny piece of bread and feed it to the chickens one by one. I do this at night just after they've gone to roost.
I will also say my dose is 1.5 mg/Kg as the study I read stated that the egg residues for the fenbendazole metabolite was below the maximum level at that dose so it's safe.
I treated them with Wazine and went ahead and did a treatment Ivermax. I decided to both as I can keep track of their worming easier if I treat at the same time. Thanks so much!

The wazine should be enough for roundworms. Ivermectin does usually come with an egg withdrawl recommendation. 1% solution usually 7 day withdrawl, stronger solutions would be longer. There is some discussion that ivermectin is not effective on some parasites anymore, they've become resistant. For just roundworms, Wazine is effective. If you want something more broad spectrum I would use Safeguard or Valbazen and direct dose the birds, those two are effective for most worms, both usually have a recommended 2 week egg withdrawl after dosing.

I treated them with both for now. They were all I had available. Do you know how long it takes before I will start seeing dead worms? I believe only one hen has worms at this time but I treated all 7 girls. Wazine is in both water bowls and I might orally give each girl a mouth full of the water before bed just to get a good dose in their system. Do I repeat these steps in a few weeks?

You may or may not see dead worms. Sometimes dead worms will be expelled, sometimes they are absorbed by the chickens digestive tract. With Wazine I believe you repeat in 30 days, then after that depends on if they are reinfected. I honestly don't know about ivermectin, I don't use it for worms. The only way to know for SURE that treatment was effective is to have a fecal done to see if any eggs are present. (There are mail in options if you don't have a vet that will do it.) Roundworms are really easy to pick up in the environment and reinfection is common, the eggs survive a very long time in the soil. You may have to put yours on a regular worming schedule to keep them controlled. Some people can do once or twice a year, some must do it more often, every flock is different and it depends on the parasite load in your environment.

Great advise from all thank you! I treat my girls every 6 months. I just brought in a new hen about 2 months ago and I believe she is the one with worms in her droppings. Big Bared Rock we call her big booty Judy ❤️ She’s the new boss lol love our chicky girls!

Back
Top Bottom