Worms in feces, graphic and horrible picture

I've never had any worm problems - first off my chickens don't free range - they are contained in a nice coop with a nice run - both the coop and the run are covered with sand - the wire around the run and coop does not allow any wild birds or any kind of animal into them - I only have a few chickens at a time - I basically have a closed flock - I clean the run and coop least every other day - I occasionally mix some DE in with the sand - this business of worming your chickens so much makes the eggs you are eating suspect - how can they be healthy - you would be better off buying your eggs from a grocery store where the chickens are raised in cages and never are wormed - I think most of the problems people have with chickens is from letting them free range - they pick up all sorts of parasites and diseases - JoePa

I kept chickens for almost 2 years before I ever felt the need to de-worm them - I didn't see worms or any signs at that time, but some of the hens felt thin to me and they did plump up after the deworming. It took 3 years of owning chickens before any signs of worms in their poop showed up - I just started seeing these white things last Nov. I never planned on giving my chickens medicine and didn't anticipate deworming them when I started, but other pets that spend time outside need to be dewormed - why not chickens too? When we had horses, they were on a strict twice a year deworming plan and we deworm our dogs also. Even if your chickens are kept in a pen, they will still eat bugs, and from what I hear, bugs can carry worm eggs.

I have sand mixed in with the dirt in my run, but I do not keep the chickens enclosed in the run 24/7. I have been using DE in my run, coop, and nestboxes since I first started with chickens - they even have their own sandbox with sand/DE to dustbathe in. They have been drinking apple cider vinegar in their water for about 1 year now.

As for the eggs being healthy - I am sure our eggs are healthier than eggs purchased from cages hens that are not fed natural feed. We do not eat eggs within 2 weeks of deworming and the fact that my hens eat green grass and clover makes their eggs healthier than if they weren't allowed to free-range (the yard is much greener when it's not winter-time). Plus, I can't imagine keep them locked up all day - they absolutely LOVE to run and fly across the yard.

I suspect the wild birds might be the problem in my case. I have tried and tried to keep the sparrows out of the coop/run and have lowered their numbers, but haven't been able to get rid of the sparrows entirely. Even if I kept my hens locked up all day, the birds would still be getting into the pen. If it weren't for the sparrows, the main chicken run would be free of wild birds - the doves, pigeons, and starlings are too big and keep out, but those tiny sparrows are consistent and a problem for many chicken owners in my area.

The run where the feed is kept is made of chain link. Here's the pics to my set-up - both the beginning set-up and the current set-up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/arizonadesertchicks-chicken-coop

After the first sign of birds, we blocked ventilation holes in the coop with wire. We also covered the entire run in chicken wire, hoping to keep them out, but the sparrows fit right through the chicken wire. We then covered the entire run with bird/deer netting, but the birds still find ways to get in - they sneak in between the door and the panels and have also made a few holes in the netting. My husband even built me treadle feeder last year, hoping to discourage the birds, but they have now gotten smart enough to wait for my hens to eat and then they sneak in and dine out of the treadle with my hens.

I noted long worms in the chicken feces. I called the fed store and was told there is medication to treat the chickens.

Just wondering if ducks can get these tapeworms also? And would the albendazole be safe to give them? I have both muscovies and some mixed breed runner/Welsh Harlequins.

I found this thread through a search because I saw a poop that looked exactly like the OP photo on page one. The ducks and chickens live together and I have no idea which bird made the poop as I didn't see it happen, just noticed it afterward while sitting and watching the birds waiting for the waterer to fill up.

I will try and get to the feed store tomorrow for some albendazole and just need instructions for it's use with the ducks. Also the big muscovy drakes are probably over 8-10 pounds so need guidelines for dosing them.

Didn't read all the other post so forgive me if this has already been brought up.

I was turned on to pig feed with strongid wormer in it years ago. It looks just like layer pellets and for me its been great. I feed it to all my birds and have never had any problems.

vinegar and de will do nothing for parasites. De will damage your chicken's digestive tract. If it will tear up the surfaces of bugs in the garden, it will tear up the insides of your birds.
ACV is good for them in general, tho. Good for you, too! Bragg's organic acv has the "mother" in it. Please look that one up, I can't explain it off the top of my head.
The avian vet told me that piperazine was essentially useless.
Valbazen! Wonderful stuff. I just found some of the white things and used it topically. (Labeled as cattle drench.) Today the poop was full of dead white things. Yay!

Last edited:
i have been using safeguard for goats on my grown birds dose any one know if it safe for chicks

Back
Top Bottom