worms in poo

vboro farm girl

Chirping
Jun 18, 2015
Vanceboro NC
I noticed the other day that one of my birds had a large amount of worms in its poo I don't know which one it was but I have started treating with diatomacious earth the food grade and apple cider vinegar because I read it was a natural dewormer ... my question is are the eggs safe for consumption or should I discard them and should I be giving them something else for the worms I don't really like the idea giving them medics but if they absolutely have to have it then I need to know what and exactly how much

Howdy vboro farm girl

I use ACV in my gals’ water but please note, it only acts as a deterrent by reportedly maintaining a good pH balance and making it a little uncomfortable for the worms to live in.

However, it is not an actual wormer and while there are lots of non chemical deterrents, I personally believe that if you are seeing worms in their poop you need to bring out the big guns and worm the whole flock with a commercial wormer.

I believe the eggs are fine to eat even if your gals have worms but once you are treating them with a commercial wormer, depending on which one you use, it should tell you the withholding period on eggs.

Unfortunately, living in Aus, I am not able to recommend a wormer which you may have access to.

I noticed the other day that one of my birds had a large amount of worms in its poo I don't know which one it was but I have started treating with diatomacious earth the food grade and apple cider vinegar because I read it was a natural dewormer ... my question is are the eggs safe for consumption or should I discard them and should I be giving them something else for the worms I don't really like the idea giving them medics but if they absolutely have to have it then I need to know what and exactly how much
Sorry to say that ACV and Diatimacious Earth are useless in treating a worm infestation...any chicken that is pooping worms has a very heavy overload of worms...you will need to use a product such as safeguard de-wormer for goats or a pea sized amount of panacur de-wormer ( used for horses )...after the initial dose...you should re-treat in 14 days...discard ALL eggs for the duratiion..28 days in total...do not ever feed the eggs back to the chickens as it will give them a further dose of the de-wormer...

Ditto....ACV and DE will not get rid of worm infestation.

Safeguard goat wormer liquid- .5cc orally for standard sized chicken, repeat in 10 days. Eggs are discarded until 14 days after last treatment.
Valbazen- same as above, same withdrawl for eggs. (there is actually a formula by weight: weight lbs/2.2 x 20mg/113.6....works out to .48ml for a 6 lb bird)
Safeguard paste or panacur paste- pea sized, repeat as above, same withdrawl for eggs.

Safeguard (fenbendazole) and Valbazen (albendazole) kill most all types of worms with a few exceptions.
You don't ID what kind of worms, so this is general info.

Dawg53 has many posts on worms and worming that are worth looking for.

Back
Top Bottom