Worms in poop after deworming

Feb 23, 2021
I have 6 laying hens (9 months olds) and 7 pullets (4 months old). I took a hen to the vet for constant runny poop. She tested positive for round worms. The vet prescribed Pyrantel Pamoate 50 mg/ml to be given orally (0.22 mls) once a week for two weeks. I dewormed my entire flock on 04/21/2021 and then again on 04/28/2021. On the week of May 10 and this morning, I saw some poop with a worm in it. The worm appeared to be dead on both days. I have also seen some yellow foamy poop. Is this normal after deworming? I had planned to deworm again in July. Should I deworm sooner?

I have seen worms pooped out a few days after the first dosing, which is normal, but that is 2.5 weeks after your first dosing. Not sure what to make of that, but that doesn't sound right to me.

The dose for that medicine is 0.04 ml per lb of bird so it sounds like you gave the right amount of medicine.

I have 6 laying hens (9 months olds) and 7 pullets (4 months old). I took a hen to the vet for constant runny poop. She tested positive for round worms. The vet prescribed Pyrantel Pamoate 50 mg/ml to be given orally (0.22 mls) once a week for two weeks. I dewormed my entire flock on 04/21/2021 and then again on 04/28/2021. On the week of May 10 and this morning, I saw some poop with a worm in it. The worm appeared to be dead on both days. I have also seen some yellow foamy poop. Is this normal after deworming? I had planned to deworm again in July. Should I deworm sooner?
Did you dose each bird orally with the Pyrantel Pamoate?

Did you treat all of the birds on the same two days?
Are some of the birds bigger than the one you took to the vet?

Did you treat all of the birds on the same two days?
Are some of the birds bigger than the one you took to the vet?
Yes, I treated all of the birds on the same two days. The hen that I took to the vet is one of my biggest ones. The rest are smaller than her.

@Chicken LittleLady It might be best to worm your birds with a benzimidazole such as Valbazen. Valbazen kills all known types of worms a chicken can get. However, for tapeworms it's best to use a product with praziquantel to kill tapeworms, such as Equimax equine paste.
You can buy Valbazen in the link below:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5
The 500ml bottle will last you a long time. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Then repeat dosing again in 10 days.

There will be worm eggs in and on your soil. If your soil conditions are warm and moist most of the time, you'll have to worm your birds frequently. Chickens constantly peck the soil, in doing so they pick up worm eggs and swallow them, starting the worms lifecycle.
Frequent wormings over time stop the worms lifecycle.

It helps to rotate areas where chickens forage if they free range. If birds are penned up all or most of the time, put sand in the pens and scoop up feces often as best as you can, same for inside coops.

Yellow foamy poop can be a sign of worms.
When you worm your birds, it's best to worm them before sunrise and make sure you withhold their feed prior to worming and 2 hours after worming.
The chickens will be hungry and so will the worms. The worms will be at their weakest without the feed nutrients. Feed them Valbazen. Wait 2 hours after worming all your birds, then go ahead and feed your chickens a little at a time. Increase feeding them throughout the day back to normal feeding.
Your chickens will be starving after withholding the feed. If you let them eat all they want after the 2 hours, they will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop.
Then repeat this procedure in 10-14 days to eliminate worms hatched from eggs missed by the first dosing.

@dawg53 Thank you so much!! This is great information. I’ve already ordered construction sand for the chicken run. I will order the Valbazen and follow your instructions to deworm them all. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply!:)

@dawg53 I have one more question. After deworming with the Valbazen, what is the egg withdrawal period?
Generally there's a 14 day withdrawal period. We eat the eggs after worming, I'm still here typing. Valbazen is a benzimidazole. Benzimidazoles are not well absorbed in the digestive tract/bloodstream and mostly excreted.
That said, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, toss them in the garbage.

Back
Top Bottom