Worms in week old silkies?

Amy R

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2015
I brought home 2 silkies and after a week they both died. Became lethargic and wouldnt eat or drink.they were with some bigger birds so we wondered if they werent being allowed near the food although there was no evidence of this. I I brought home 2 more from same store ( they are now seperate)and they seem to be fine except one of them is pooping out what appears to be worms. Is this possible or is it something else?

I can't seem to post a pic... So sorry:( but thank you all for your advice!

Worms in week old silkies? No, they are too young. You are either seeing maggots or shed intestinal lining. Maggots will be moving around in feces, look for an wound where they would be located. Shed intestinal lining is usually reddish/orange in color, kind of tubular shaped. It is normal on occasion...but if it's constant, cocci infection can cause sloughing off intestinal lining and excreted. I suspect cocci infection overwhelmed your previous two silkies and killed them. It wouldnt hurt to get your new silkies started on Corid if there arnt any maggots seen in the feces.

Thank you so much. Its not reddish at all. Its green. And its the poop itself that looks like a worm, not worms in the poop. Its strange. It sounds gross but when i try to smear it it sticks together. Not at all normal poop. Like a green tiny piece of spaghetti. I have seen nothing like it in any pics. I will get corid and treat them but its nothing like the pics show of intestiinal lining. Other than that he/she is fine.

Thank you so much. Its not reddish at all. Its green. And its the poop itself that looks like a worm, not worms in the poop. Its strange. It sounds gross but when i try to smear it it sticks together. Not at all normal poop. Like a green tiny piece of spaghetti. I have seen nothing like it in any pics. I will get corid and treat them but its nothing like the pics show of intestiinal lining. Other than that he/she is fine.

What are you feeding them?

Medicated feed. I did give them a little plain yogurt but the one in question didnt seem that interested in it. ...

I just want to say Thank you to everyone. I put them on Corid for 5 days. Everyone is doing great!

Back
Top Bottom