Worms/ larvae?

Bdeane

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2021
Today the chickens dumped their bucket of water over, there was a puddle of water on the coop floor and in the water were these tiny worm. They have a no worms in poop, clean coop, no symptoms of anything that could be wrong. I’ve had this flock since March, they were 8 weeks old when I got them. I do have a older flock of chickens, never had a problem with them. I keep them separate from the younger ones because they don’t get along. I’ve never had to use medication on either flock and I’ve never had a problem with bugs or worms. I have searched and searched, I cannot find anything on the Internet that looks like these little worms, could they be larvae?sorry for the horrible pics, I had to take a still of a video. TIA!
C9E0CC6F-408B-42E9-8E9C-8A6FB6FA2CA4.jpeg
DFA6A440-68EC-4D54-870C-885D53CE812A.jpeg

Attachments

• 058DF36D-3A9F-490D-8C5F-0CD9DECA0C6B.jpeg
    058DF36D-3A9F-490D-8C5F-0CD9DECA0C6B.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 6
I’ll take maggots over worms lol! Thanks
You may want to make sure that the maggots were just on the poop inside the coop and not coming from one of your hens. Check vents just to be sure. This time of year poopy bottoms attract flies which lay eggs which turn to maggots in about a day or so...maggots on the animals is not good.

You may want to make sure that the maggots were just on the poop inside the coop and not coming from one of your hens. Check vents just to be sure. This time of year poopy bottoms attract flies which lay eggs which turn to maggots in about a day or so...maggots on the animals is not good.
it’s wasn’t in the poop, but I will be extra vigilant! Thanks for the tip.

If flies are a problem in your coop, if a chicken gets a poopy butt or an cut injury, flies will lay eggs on it creating flystrike and maggot infestation. That can quickly kill a chicken. I would treat for flies with something like permethrin spray around your coop, and let it dry for an hour. That can last 30 days to keep flies away. Also stirring your coop bedding, and keeping it fresh with new bedding to minimize droppings attracting the flies can help. I would inspect vent areas for any maggots, and a brief soapy wash in a bucket will clean up soiled vents.

Back
Top Bottom