Worms or Cocci?

Birdragon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Colorado
One of my hens has been acting very lethargic for the past few days, has only some interest in food and water, and has runny greenish yellow poop. Today I noticed some tiny white sticks on the feathers surrounding her vent. Could these be worm eggs? They don't seem to be moving. Her poop appears to have the tiniest hint of blood in it. Please help!!!

One of my hens has been acting very lethargic for the past few days, has only some interest in food and water, and has runny greenish yellow poop. Today I noticed some tiny white sticks on the feathers surrounding her vent. Could these be worm eggs? They don't seem to be moving. Her poop appears to have the tiniest hint of blood in it. Please help!!!
Like this?

Those are lice eggs.

Last edited:
No, they are rice shaped, but tiny. I just found the actual worm, though! It is slightly bigger and I think white. They were writhing around in an area around a red bump near the hen's vent. She seems to be in pain when she poops. I've been having her drink apple cider vinegar and garlic in the water, and I fed her some cayenne and pumpkin seeds. What else should I do?

Sounds like maggots, but could be tape or cecal worms? Clean her backside really well and inspect for maggots. While you're at it, look up something called "fly strike". If you can, post a picture of the worm(s) and her vent.

-Kathy

Tapeworm pieces typically are flat while alive if that helps. If she has maggots on her vent, you would need to soak her bottom in water and dish detergent (like Dawn), and most people say they will come out with this treatment.

I unfortunately have witnessed a live tapeworm segment or two on the backends of a dog and cat before--as Dawg53 says they can't stay alive outside of the host, but these had just made their exit, LOL.

Thank you all so much for helping! I read about flystrike and it seems probable. Tomorrow I will clean her. Can I clip some of the gross feathers off? Or will they bleed? And how will I know if I have gotten them all? Should I remove the maggots and then soak or will they come off in the water? Is there anything else I can do? I will try to post a picture. Thank you!

You can trim feathers around the vent. I'm not sure, but I think the only feathers you can "quick" are the flight feathers on their wings and possibly some type of feathers on the legs of feather legged breeds, but don't quote me on that.

-Kathy

So I've used tweezers to pick away lots of the maggots, and dunked her bottom in soapy water, which she HATES. But there are so many more maggots! And they keep trying to take refuge inside her vent! How do I get them all?!?!? Oh yeah, and I removed a bit of eggshell from her vent when grabbing a maggot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom