GreyhoundGuy

Chirping
Jul 9, 2017
Dripping Springs, TX
Hi again, all. Quick background info:

* five hens, mostly free range in the backyard during the day
* free feed DuMor 16% Layer Feed from TS
* coop / poop board cleaned once daily

I was cleaning the coop this afternoon and saw a worm in some of the poop. I stared and stared and stared, and it wasn't moving. Not sure if that's good or bad. Anyway, here's a pic...

WARNING: Gross Picture Follows... Scroll QUICKLY if you don't want to see it!

20171029_141255.png

With five hens in the coop overnight, I obviously don't know which hen is infected, so I know I need to treat them all.

Tractor Supply has Wazine, and an acquaintance has Valbazen that I can use. From what I'm reading on another BYC thread, we are to do the following:

* Make a solution of 1 oz. Wazine per 1 gallon of fresh water
* Keep the girls in the run so that they have access to only that deworming water
  • Day 1 : give access to deworming water / throw eggs
  • Days 2 : throw eggs
  • Days 3-5: give hens yogurt as a probiotic, as well as canned beef cat food as a protein / throw eggs
  • Day 6-10 : throw eggs
  • Day 11 : give normal size adult chickens 0.5 cc/ml Valbazen (squirted onto bread and fed individually to the chickens so that each get one) / throw eggs
  • Day 12 : throw eggs
  • Days 13-15 : give hens yogurt as a probiotic, as well as canned beef cat food as a protein / throw eggs
  • Days 16-25 : throw eggs
  • Day 27+ : eggs are okay for consumption
Question 1: We've heard from others that Wazine leads to a 100% lifetime non-use of eggs. Is this correct?

Question 2: If using Wazine, will the hens drink enough Wazine water in that first day to deworm the chickens? Or will I need to have the water available for multiple days to ensure that they have received enough of the deworming water? And if multiple days, do I restart my count after that last day and adjust the remainder of the calendar?

Question 3: How many days should I be giving them Valbazen? Is one dose / piece of bread enough, or should I be giving a few doses over the course of a few days? If it is multiple days, do I restart my count after that last day and adjust the remainder of the calendar?

Thanks for reading this far, as well as for any advice you can offer up. I'm new to deworming chickens. I've dewormed household pets before without issue, but I know this is totally different.

-Joel

Last edited:
Toss eggs for two weeks after the final dose of wormer...which ever you choose to use.
I prefer dosing each bird straight to the beak.
Valbazen dosing is .08 ml per POUND of bird.
One dose and then repeat one dose in 10-14 days.

Hi,
I need a little advice.
6-8months ago I ordered the smaller bottle of Valbazen (50ml) from a website that was called
Wholesalekennel.com
I went back to order again, and I keep getting this error message. I am not sure if they closed down or what.
Can anyone help with a site that will let me order a small bottle of this?
I don't want to get the 500ml bottle.
Thanks

Thanks, I apprieciate it.
The other site used to sell a $10.00 bottle, and shipping was either free or almost nothing.
It took me a long time to get through the one I purchased about 8 months ago, and I still have a little left, i am just not sure if it would cover the entire flock again.

Back
Top Bottom