WORMS! What kind!?!? HELP!!!!

kemcconnell

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 7, 2014
I usually take note of my chickens' poop in the coops and around the yard just to make sure there's nothing crazy going on! This morning I noticed this and I am basically freaking out! I've raised chickens for 4 1/2 years and have never seen this before... Can anyone help me??

Welcome to BYC!

Those are large roundworms, and they can be treated somewhat effectively Wazine (piperazine) and very effectively with Safeguard (fenbendazole).

Wazine - 1 ounce per gallon
For best results, remove water in the evening (except during hot weather). Then, early the next morning, begin water medicated with Wazine-17. Provide medicated water only, distributed in waterers sufficient in number so that all birds or animals have access to water. The medicated water should be consumed in 1 day or less. Worming every 30 days is necessary to break the large roundworm life cycle.

Safeguard liquid or paste - 0.23 ml per pound *orally* and repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Quote: They all have the same active ingredient, but different concentrations. Least expensive and easiest to use is the liquid goat wormer. Steer clear of the "multi species" stuff that you put in the food. If I found roundworms in one of mine I would use the liquid goat wormer at 0.23 ml per pound. Bonus is that you can use it on dogs, cats, horse, reptiles, etc. Very safe for all species.

-Kathy

They all have the same active ingredient, but different concentrations. Least expensive and easiest to use is the liquid goat wormer. Steer clear of the "multi species" stuff that you put in the food. If I found roundworms in one of mine I would use the liquid goat wormer at 0.23 ml per pound. Bonus is that you can use it on dogs, cats, horse, reptiles, etc. Very safe for all species.

-Kathy

I'm having trouble finding the safe guard... Everyone is out. But if I use Wazine and it doesn't do the trick how long should I wait until I try the safe guard?

They all have the same active ingredient, but different concentrations. Least expensive and easiest to use is the liquid goat wormer. Steer clear of the "multi species" stuff that you put in the food. If I found roundworms in one of mine I would use the liquid goat wormer at 0.23 ml per pound. Bonus is that you can use it on dogs, cats, horse, reptiles, etc. Very safe for all species.

-Kathy

I'm having trouble finding the safe guard... Everyone is out. But if I use Wazine and it doesn't do the trick how long should I wait until I try the safe guard?

You can probably use it as soon as you notched that Wazine didn't work. Another option is Safeguard or Panacur paste for horses, but it's really expensive compared to the liquid, as in one tube = 25 ml of the liquid. How many chickens do you have?

-Kathy

You can probably use it as soon as you notched that Wazine didn't work. Another option is Safeguard or Panacur paste for horses, but it's really expensive compared to the liquid, as in one tube = 25 ml of the liquid. How many chickens do you have?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom