1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worms?! Yikes! What should I give my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kluk-Kluk, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Kluk-Kluk

Kluk-Kluk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    upstate New York
    [​IMG]

Ick! This is what I found on the ground early this morning. I don't regularly deworm my chickens - I feel I should do so only when necessary. I've had chickens over five years and this is the first time I've seen something like this. What is it (yes, a worm, but what kind?) and what should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Most vets will do a fecal float for you, even if they don't normally treat chickens. It's inexpensive or in some cases, free. That will tell you exactly what kind of worms you are dealing with. Though that looks to me more like intestinal shedding than a worm. Intestinal shed can be caused by worms and coccidiosis. The vet will be able to tell you for sure. Take in a big sample. Like multiple poos just to be sure they have enough. Once you know what it is for sure then you will know what wormer to use.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    X2. Looks like intestinal lining. I blew it up so I could see it better, but could not see any worms. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by