worms??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annabelle08, Oct 2, 2016.

1. annabelle08

annabelle08 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    One of my chickens lays an egg daily that has a very small poop on it, is that a sign of worms? I read somewhere a while back that it was. I was holding back on giving them worming meds till they slow down laying this fall. They are just 6 months old and have not been wormed before.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Poop on the egg shells happen....Not a sign of worms.....Your pullets are only 6 months old....Only worm them next spring or not even then? I have never wormed any of my birds...As long as they are healthy worms never bother Chickens...

Cheers!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wish that myth would die.

Poop just happens sometimes. I had one hen that laid a pretty distinctive egg, who pooped on it every blessed time. Don't know if she had a plumbing issue or what, but she was a wonderful layer, healthy and glossy, active, and I hatched a bunch of chicks off her eggs. No worm problems in her or the rest of the flock.

1 person likes this.
  4. annabelle08

annabelle08 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Thank you so much.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No point in putting a bunch of chemicals into your birds if nothing is wrong..?

Enjoy the Birds!

Cheers!

6. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I have had chickens for almost 5 years and every four months I take poop samples to my vet for a fecal float. Twice they came back positive for tapes and I dewormed them with valbazen, that was two years ago. They have been negative ever since. The fecal test is only 20 dollars, I don't like to give my chickens any harsh chemicals unless it is absolutely necessary.

I am quoting a piece of an article written by Gail Damerow in Backyard Poultry magazine October/November 2016 issue:

"It bears repeating that a chicken in a healthy environment becomes resistant to worms as it matures, therefore the best way to prevent worm overloads is to keep your chickens healthy. Good management that provides a healthful environment is far superior to attempting to control parasitic worms through constant medication"

2 people like this.
  7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

"Poop just happens" - too true!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by