Worms

Peggsblueinc

Chirping
Nov 1, 2019
Sandy valley,Nv
My neighbor just told me she found a round worm in an egg I sold her. I bought safe guard but don’t know how much to put in watering pan. I want to treat all 30 chickens because I don’t know who is infected. Plus how to I treat dirt floor in coop and run. They free range.

Attachments

• IMG_5147.jpeg
    IMG_5147.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 93
My neighbor just told me she found a round worm in an egg I sold her. I bought safe guard but don’t know how much to put in watering pan. I want to treat all 30 chickens because I don’t know who is infected. Plus how to I treat dirt floor in coop and run. They free range.
Did she save the egg so you could see it?

It's not impossible for a worm to be found in an egg, but it's not that common. Often folks mistake Chalazae for a worm.

That said, if you wish to treat your flock for Roundworms only using Safeguard, dose each bird at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

She said she found it in a boiled egg. No she didn’t send me pic. So the dosage is what I would put in their water? Sorry I’ve never had to do this. And have never had worms. I’ve checked their poop but never found worms. I even took a magnifier out their in case they were small but nothing.

She said she found it in a boiled egg. No she didn’t send me pic. So the dosage is what I would put in their water? Sorry I’ve never had to do this. And have never had worms. I’ve checked their poop but never found worms. I even took a magnifier out their in case they were small but nothing.

That said, if you wish to treat your flock for Roundworms only using Safeguard, dose each bird at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once, then repeat in 10 days.
The dose is orally by weight. This is ideal because Fenbendazole is dosed by weight.
It's easy to go out and grab a bird off the roost first thing in the morning, dose her, then go to the next. You could split them up in groups as well, dose 1/2 one morning then do the rest the next.

If you feel you can't dose each bird individually, then you can try giving them a mash. It's dependent on the bird eating the correct amount, but it may be effective.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

Dummy me I put it in their water. And I just read it isn’t water soluble. I looked into safeguard aquasol but in reading it said not for laying hens.
Oh I know, it settles out of the water!

You could try making the mash and see if that works for you. The Goat wormer would mix with that, but it's just hard to know if each bird is getting what they need.

Safeguard Aquasol is crazy expensive. It is formulated to mix in water which is convenient I suppose.
As far as I know, Safeguard Aquasol IS approved for use in laying hens as long as you follow their dosing instructions. https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/species/poultry/products/safe-guard-aquasol

Back
Top Bottom