Worms?!

Clean the area that they're in. Worming all of them sure won't hurt and you're flock will be healthier in the long run.

-Kathy

To worm them, go to TSC and get some fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste), it's in the cattle, goat and horse sections. A RIR hen weighs 2.9kg (6.5 pounds), so I would give each hen 1.45ml of either the liquid or paste orally and repeat that in ten days. That dose is 50mg/kg and is what my avian vet recommended. Ignore the dosing info on the labels, goats cows and horses get 5-10mg/kg.

Get a 1ml syringe like this (no needle!)

This link shows how to worm orally (lots of pictures):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/745210/how-to-safely-worm-your-peafowl-orally

This is what you're looking for at TSC, any of them will work, all are 10% fenbendazole (100mg/ml).
1cc = 1ml

-Kathy

For maggots; clean your coop. Check your chickens rear ends for embeded feces in feathers and fluff. Clean and/or trim back feathers/fluff as necessary. Repost if you see an injury/wound or maggots around the vent area.

Last edited:
For maggots; clean your coop. Check your chickens rear ends for embeded feces in feathers and fluff. Clean and/or trim back feathers/fluff as necessary. Repost if you see an injury/wound or maggots around the vent area.
Very good idea, I just assume that everyone would think to do that, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom