Worried about a new roo down the street...

Attack Chicken

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I just found out today that people down the street (6 houses down) got a new rooster for Christmas I believe. They already have 2 mixed game banty roos, a bantam white phoenix(I think? longtail breed)roo and now they got a new LF BR roo. When I let Kernal my LF white leghorn roo out today they got into a crowing fight/match LOL. Needless to say I look out the front door and their he is 3 houses down from my house. The closest the bantams have been was nextdoor behind the privacy fence. They let their birds free range all over the street and in people backyards. I wasn't worried about the bantam roos but now this big BR roo has me on gaurd. I have 2 other roos a bantam wyandotte and a showgirl roo that control the bantam flock outback (they stay in my backyard only). I'm worried that the BR will come over for a visit and end up injuring my bantams or him getting injured by Kernal. What should I do? The fences sure don't stop the bantams from hopping over them!

Well, it seems to be time to meet and greet the neighbors, make friends and mention the problem. That's what I would do, right after I had secured my own chickens in a pen that would make sure they couldn't ramble and be injured. Then you can say hey, I don't let my birds out because they could be hurt or cause trouble, how about I help you build a pen? You come out on the high road, and you befriend another chicken tender!

I agree with ranchhand. That sounds like the best solution. I just don't know about that "chicken tender" comment...isn't that what you buy at Sonic?
big_smile.png

Aren't we all "chicken tenders" here? Just thought of another benefit to befriending the neighbors- maybe you can swap bird care when needed- several people posted about not having anyone to tend their chickens over the holidays.

I would go over there and tell him that you're concerned about the safety of his roo because your roos/dogs will tear his roo to shreds and there has already been one close call.

( I told my new neighbor with a dog that my mule will kill his dog if his dog comes into the paddock. It's true)

Last edited:
You mentioned privacy fences. I assume they are wood and that the roos walk along the top. If this is the case, you could run some electrical wire along the very top of the fence with a small transformer which you can get a DYI and feed stores. This will prevent the roo (and neighboring cats) from walking on the fence top. Now if he's a smart roo he may learn to just fly over the fence instead. Good luck.

Well I would go and talk with them but the problem is they don't speak/or understand english
hmm.png
. I live on a deadend street and the chickens can usually just walk out to the front and right down the street. For them to fly over the fences they would have to get over 5 privacy fences to get here. My yard has privacy fence almost all the way around and then chainlink and a fence across the driveway. I would put up a hotwire but we have squirrels and birds that like to use the fence as their crossways. No one else on the street cares for the chickens besides my uncle and aunt(waaay different story).

ETA: I would grab them and clip them but they are way to skittish and hate being close to humans. Besides they could just walk through everyones front yard
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom