worried about car ride tomorrow

Brittanyluvsherduck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
I'm taking my duck to the vet tomorrow to get her wings clipped. Do you think she might be so afraid of the car ride and whole ordeal that she will not like me anymore?

My mom says prey animals have to have short memories and she's right. In the wild, ducks would be fighting for their lives and getting traumatized by every little unpleasant experience would be a detriment to their survival. A visitor once dropped a 1/4 sheet of OSB on one of my ducklings. It broke off a toenail and gouged his leg a little. He was pretty upset and wouldn't come near me the rest of the afternoon but he got over it. Just make sure you give her something soft to lay on and keep her carrier/box dark and she'll be fine.

I just drove my duck to the vet for the first time yesterday. She was fine!! Seemed to take the whole experience very well. She was super excited though when we got out into the back yard and saw Jade!! They duck chatted like I have never seen!! lol

My birds ride very well in the car. I don't think it is scary to them.

However, is wing clipping all the vet is doing? You can take a pair of scissors and cut the feathers yourself and not take the bird to the vet at all.

I clipped my duck's wings and he was fine about it. He didn't struggle to get away and he was just fine after I was finished. Plus he goes on car rides with me all the time
big_smile.png

I haven't taken everyone to the vet yet, but Sieben, Neun, and Vier have been okay with it. I put them in a coated wire dog crate. They could see out, and seemed interested but not totally overwhelmed by the sights and sounds. I talked to them as we drove (it's a bit of a drive), and they seemed a little nervous but not scared. When we got to the vet, in the examining room when there was a wait, they have dozed off.

Back
Top Bottom