Worried about Mazie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WickedChicksNH, Oct 14, 2019.

1. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Mazie is my 6 month old golden laced wyandotte pullet
    She is very friendly, enjoys sitting with me.does normal chicken things
    Little spunk in her like wyandotte have

Zeus my 6mo old light brahma has been doing what cockerels in puberty do. Mate mate mate

Now I am used to seeing some feathers in bad shape from this behavior
    However we went camping the last 4 days. My son was here to take care of then chickens
    So today when I got back I went and said hi to them

I gave them some scratch and noticed Mazie wasn't paying any attention to it, she is usually the bossy one of the group
    She just stayed over by herself

I go and pick her up, she loves to sit with me but hates being actually picked up, but she let me pick her up without squawking about it

I put her on my lap and she sits there and I see how bad her feathers or lack of is
    Her whole back if you left up the destroyed feathers is just bare, I put her down for a min she slowly walks away but almost like she might be sore, she didn't walk far she just stood there, it looks like she isn't standing straight up like she is squatting a little

So I pick her back up again, hold her like a baby, laying back in my arms, she just laid there I check out her legs and everything, it all seems good.

I put her on my lap, she rests her head on my arm and I put my hand under her feathers and gently rub her bare back, she was very calm and was falling asleep.

Even when the other chickens came to see what's up she just laid there and enjoyed her rub

I put her in the chair after awhile and again she just stood there

So I have a large dog crate up off the floor in the coop And made it nice and comfy with hay, food, water and some nesting box herbs to help relax her
    She did not attempt to get comfy, just stayed where I put her

But I am going to keep her there for now give her some time away from Zeus

She otherwise doesn't seem sick
    I am thinking maybe very sore from Zeus always trying to mate with her
    He is a really large cockerel even though he is only 6 months

Any ideas what could be going on or other suggestions on making her feel better?

She was her normal spunky self before I left

Thanks

slordaz likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She sounds sick to me. It takes a few weeks to months for feathers to be worn off generally, so to me it doesn't sound right. Do you have pictures?

3. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thank you

I have Mazie inside with me now, after watching her for a bit it seems like she doesn't want to put much weight on one side

She is eating and drinking I am giving her vitamins

I think I need to reexamine her legs and back

She does love when I rub her hips and back so nothing seems to be painful in those areas
    She moves around but slowly and in a slightly squatting position

I will keep an eye and see what happens if no change I will bring her to the vet

She is starting to get curious about the 2 little one week old babies I have in here too
    Actually one is her baby I incubated

Well guess what as I was typing this she got out of her box and is slowly waking around

The cuts on her back I am assuming are from Zeus's claws

When I took her out of her pen this morning I put her down to see how she was doing and zeus jumped right on her
    And that is when I decided she needed to come in with me and rest and get some TLC

I have ordered some chicken aprons for the ladies

20191015_120847.jpg
    20191015_120243.jpg 20191015_120237.jpg 20191015_115718.jpg

slordaz and Sequel like this.
  4. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Separate all your roosters except for one or two that are proven to be good with hens. It sounds like they're doing some real damage, though I think she wasn't feeling good in the first place.

slordaz and WickedChicksNH like this.
  5. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thank you
    Its just zeus doing the damages he is a very large lt brahma cockerel

However I just reexamined Mazie it it seems to be her upper right legs bothering her like maybe close to the hip
    She did not like being touched there at all

slordaz likes this.
  6. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    I would lock Zues and see how she does outside with the other girls, without having him being able to harrass her, she is obviously his favorite hen and he's rough with her, he's like a teeanger got raging hormones, it will get better as they plateau but teach him now everytime he's rough or forces himself on one of the hens excessively he goes to solitary he will be nicer to your hens. it can take a month or 2

WickedChicksNH likes this.
  7. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thank you
    I will take that advice
    I can put him in the extra large pen in the coop and block off a section outside that is large for him

slordaz likes this.
  8. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    ****update
    Mazie is slowly doing better. She is upstairs still in my work office so I am with her all day
    Yesterday I had to give her a quick partial bath as she was not standing to poop, so she was yucky

Last night she walked around some and today though still slow, she walked around often
    She likes to lay or stand next to the baby chicks pen and watch or talk to them
    She is scratching at her food and eating and drinking plenty
    She is getting her spunk back and not as thrilled about being held again

I can see her thinking about jumping up in my chair but she isn't fully healed yet

So prognosis looks good

9. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    sounds like she wants to play momma to them baby chicks lol.

Good to hear she is doing better.

WickedChicksNH likes this.
  10. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    One is actually her baby she just doesn't know it because I incubated it lol

slordaz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: