Worried about my hen, any advice?

Feel the crop, is it watery or solid. Feel the feet for bumblefoot as previously suggested. Look for mites, ticks etc in feathers. Smell breath, is it particularly rancid? When was she last wormed? Does she have discharge around eyes/nose? Does she eat/drink? @Weeg

You might try giving her a half of a baby aspirin. I have an Orpington who sprained a foot. I planned to isolate her for a week but only at night so she could rest her foot and not fight for roost space. I made a "nest" of curled brown paper and old towels and let her sleep in the box, then gave her the half baby aspirin hidden inside a grape in the morning. Turns out 3 nights having a sleepover did the trick. Since she was roaming with the flock during the day we didn't have to deal with re-integrating her. She had no sign of bumblefoot or any other problem other than carrying her foot and limping. We're in California and the winter rains had made our runs mucky and wet too. A few nights of drying out helped give her a chance to heal. Oh, I added some mealworms and BOSS to give her a bit of added protein since she couldn't slug it out for food with the others.

Feel the crop, is it watery or solid. Feel the feet for bumblefoot as previously suggested. Look for mites, ticks etc in feathers. Smell breath, is it particularly rancid? When was she last wormed? Does she have discharge around eyes/nose? Does she eat/drink? @Weeg
I will separate her in a mesh crate I have. I have checked her for bumblefoot multiple times becauseI was concerned about that, but I will check again. Thanks so much for all the tips! I will do all of these! I will keep her within the flock so she has friends, and i won't have to reintegrate her.
I have actually never wormed my flock. So she has never been wormed. It is very possible that is an issue. She eats and drinks fine, and I see her do both. She doesn't have any discharge anywhere as far as I can tell. Oh, and I forgot to include in the begging, she has had the limp for over a month after I treated her for her sprain. She never really got better, so I released her, after she got better, but wasn't improving after a month of being in the crate. Thanks of all the help! I can't upload a video, (I don't have youtube and don't really want it,), but I will post pictures of her from all angles, her feet, her face so you can see what I mean. I will get pictures ASAP! Thanks again!

I will separate her in a mesh crate I have. I have checked her for bumblefoot multiple times becauseI was concerned about that, but I will check again. Thanks so much for all the tips! I will do all of these! I will keep her within the flock so she has friends, and i won't have to reintegrate her.
I have actually never wormed my flock. So she has never been wormed. It is very possible that is an issue. She eats and drinks fine, and I see her do both. She doesn't have any discharge anywhere as far as I can tell. Oh, and I forgot to include in the begging, she has had the limp for over a month after I treated her for her sprain. She never really got better, so I released her, after she got better, but wasn't improving after a month of being in the crate. Thanks of all the help! I can't upload a video, (I don't have youtube and don't really want it,), but I will post pictures of her from all angles, her feet, her face so you can see what I mean. I will get pictures ASAP! Thanks again!
No worries but I would strongly suggest working her with flubenzet feed as quickly as possible :)

I think she is getting old, and the end might be near. She sounds like a bit of arthritis is setting in, and probably aggravated by the weather.

I would not stress her out, nor would I take her to a vet. I might bring her inside, to get her thoroughly dried out, but change is hard on chickens, they panic pretty easily.

She has had a good run for the money. Know that.

Mrs K

I think she is getting old, and the end might be near. She sounds like a bit of arthritis is setting in, and probably aggravated by the weather.

I would not stress her out, nor would I take her to a vet. I might bring her inside, to get her thoroughly dried out, but change is hard on chickens, they panic pretty easily.

She has had a good run for the money. Know that.

Mrs K
Yes, thank you. I knew this was a possibility from the start. I will warm her up, dry her out, and once she is dried out, I will put her in a kennel with the others in the run. In the kennel I will have a warm sock or two that she can cuddle with for warmth. The is really muddy. Our run it muddy, so I don't know if he has been saying down in there or what. But I just cleaned her coop really good. The duck coop doesn't have walls so that doesn't help, but I will clean her off to the best of my ability. Thank you for the kind words, I think you may be right. She just doesn't look good. I will get pictures soon, Avery

Okay, here are a few pictures. She doesn't have Bumble-foot, but I provided a picture anyway. Thank you of all your help! You can see she is super muddy. I make her perch almost every night, but she gets a free be every now and then. Tell me what you think.
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg

You can see her favoring her bad leg in the first picture. Her tail feathers don't look good, I also picked her up, she was REALLY light. I could feel the bone on her belly. I have seen her eat but she doesn't feel like she has been eating. What should I do about this? Poor girl! I am going to star syringe feeding her. She is still alert and stuff, but I may or may not have the correct equipment for tube feeding. I will weigh her to and tell you what I find. Any help appreciated! Avery

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom