Worried about the breeze!

cindyanne1

Mother Goose
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Central Ohio
Any of my fellow central Ohioans know the temps are going to get up close to 80 degrees today and stay warm for the next several days. My husband and I were planning on moving our chicks (2.5 week old Leghorns and 1.5 week old Red Stars) to the coop and run... putting their heat lamp out in it for the nights, etc.

Only thing is, it's very breezy here today and since the chicks haven't been out in the open air since they were hatched I'm worried the breeze will make them sick.

I know they'll eventually have to be in the breeze but I'm worried about taking that step. Is it too soon? Should I wait a few more weeks? They're outgrowing their brooder box fast!

Can you just close them in the coop for a few more weeks? It might make you feel a little better. I have 5 week old chicks that won't be up in their coop and run for a few more weeks. Not that I'm an expert at all, but I just turned off the night time heat lamp on my 10 week old BC Marans yesterday. They are in their coop already. I had trouble just last week getting them to go into their coop at night. Good luck

I'd probably keep them enclosed in the coop for a few days anyway. I've heard that it helps them to identify where home is.

It's not the 80 degrees during the day but the lows at night that would be a problem. The breeze also is a concern. If you can create a draft-free area in your coop and provide a warm area at night, you will do OK locking them in the coop. They are not feathered out yet so moving them outside would be very risky.

Back
Top Bottom