worried about this chick

We have a waterer. The nipple was in there cuz the like to be under the heat and don’t like to move, so just wanted to see if they would drink out of the nipple ( it’s just a test, not permanent. And they have there other waterer. They have a place where they can get away from the heat. They all seem as though they have been drinking fine. Here is a picture of there waterer, and the coop:

C9685895-A6D0-43D5-A1CF-2EDFB840FA28.jpeg

We have a waterer. The nipple was in there cuz the like to be under the heat and don’t like to move, so just wanted to see if they would drink out of the nipple ( it’s just a test, not permanent. And they have there other waterer. They have a place where they can get away from the heat. They all seem as though they have been drinking fine. Here is a picture of there waterer, and the coop:
O.k. what is the temperature under the light - can you put a thermometer under that?
Your saying they don't like to get out from under the light - if they are staying under the light all the time, they are too cold. Have you checked their butts to make sure they are not pasted over?

I go more by behavior than temperatures but it's good to know what the temps are anyway. Chicks should be romping around in the brooder eating/drinking, they will move to the heat when cold or when sleeping, but otherwise, if they are awake, they should be moving around in there. If they are staying huddled at the light, then they may need a little more heat. The big waterer is fine I would add some stones or marbles to make sure no one drowns, but it's slightly dark on that end too, so they may not venture that as much - can you add some light to that end - not heat just light.

Hi. So I did stick a thermometer under the light. ( we don’t have great thermometers so I wouldn’t trust it) it read 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes they don’t really like to go away from the heat, but they will eat and such. There butts are fine, I checked. The heat lamp is always on the light is only on we’ll we’re over there. Do chicks need more light too? cuz I know chickens need it for laying.

Watch to see if they move around without the overhead light on.
85F may be a little cool for chicks that young, you need to watch their behavior to see whether they need a little more. They should be moving about.

The do move more without the light on bc it not as warm. They do like to stay under the light but will move around to get food/water. What temperature should it be?
They move more without the light or do they stay under the light?

I don't know if your problem is too hot/cold or if it's just too dark.

General "rule" is 90-95F the first week and drop the temp by 5F each week. Behavior is a better indicator of them being too hot/cold.

Try re-arranging your brooder a little - move that feeder longways down near that water station if there is room. It's good that they do move around, but that feeder may be acting like a "barrier" to the water as well.

upload_2019-4-24_11-43-56.png

Back
Top Bottom