Worried about winter weather

highrockieschic

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2014
I'm new and I am worried about my 3 blue slate turkeys being out in the extreme winter weather. They don't like being inside a building at all. I did have a tarp over a high roost, which they loved, and it worked great for the summer. Two nights ago we had crazy high winds and it got destroyed, so I had to take it down. The turkeys still love that roost, but a tarp will not survive with the winds we get in the winter. My birds all free range during the day, but get locked in the chicken yard at night because we have many predators (Racoons, mountain lions, bears, foxes, coyotes...) My turkeys are nearly fully grown. Do they need a shelter from the wind and snow? Or will they be ok out in the elements? Right now its 20 degrees Fahrenheit with 30mph gusts of blowing snow, but temps can get much colder, like -15 and winds much stronger, like 60-80mph. I have been putting my turkeys in a smallish 3 sided lean-to that I put a roost in (was a goat shelter), so they would be out of the wind, but they barely fit and they don't like it. I've got my house on the market and hopefully will be moving to a milder climate, but might be stuck here the winter. Help! Any advice welcome!

20210923_110351.jpg

I'm new and I am worried about my 3 blue slate turkeys being out in the extreme winter weather. They don't like being inside a building at all. I did have a tarp over a high roost, which they loved, and it worked great for the summer. Two nights ago we had crazy high winds and it got destroyed, so I had to take it down. The turkeys still love that roost, but a tarp will not survive with the winds we get in the winter. My birds all free range during the day, but get locked in the chicken yard at night because we have many predators (Racoons, mountain lions, bears, foxes, coyotes...) My turkeys are nearly fully grown. Do they need a shelter from the wind and snow? Or will they be ok out in the elements? Right now its 20 degrees Fahrenheit with 30mph gusts of blowing snow, but temps can get much colder, like -15 and winds much stronger, like 60-80mph. I have been putting my turkeys in a smallish 3 sided lean-to that I put a roost in (was a goat shelter), so they would be out of the wind, but they barely fit and they don't like it. I've got my house on the market and hopefully will be moving to a milder climate, but might be stuck here the winter. Help! Any advice welcome!

View attachment 2866356
What a beautiful tom.

Nice toms. Is there anyway you could roof up one of the corners of your run and maybe plywood wall up the sides? That would at least work as a wind break and provide a roof from rain and snow. looking at the picture above if you ran some 2x4 you could beef up the corner right behind your tom. Try to put a little sloop and use some metal or ondura type roofing. I'm not a carpenter but its just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Nice toms. Is there anyway you could roof up one of the corners of your current pens and maybe plywood wall up the sides? That'd would at least work as a wind break and provide a roof from rain and snow. looking at the picture above if you ran some 2x4 you could beef up the corner right behind your tom. Try to put a little slop and use some metal or ondura type roofing. I'm not a carpenter but its just a suggestion.
The 2x4 attached to the post above the toms is where they like to roost. I've been thinking I might have to figure something out like you suggested. The 2x4 above it with the chicken wire is where I had the tarp. We had a really rainy summer and it worked great until the wind picked up. How cold of temps can turkeys handle if they are protected from the wind? My chickens have a super insulated unheated coop and I've never had issues with frostbite.

The 2x4 attached to the post above the toms is where they like to roost. I've been thinking I might have to figure something out like you suggested. The 2x4 above it with the chicken wire is where I had the tarp. We had a really rainy summer and it worked great until the wind picked up. How cold of temps can turkeys handle if they are protected from the wind? My chickens have a super insulated unheated coop and I've never had issues with frostbite.
I'm new to the turkeys so I really can't give that info. I've heard they can handle cold well provided they're dry and have a wind barrier.

This is my hoop coop I made last spring. It's fully tarped on one end and I have a second tarp I pull over the top of the other end when it rains. My plan is to completely tarp for winter. The door windows will remain open for ventilation.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
If you were to get 2 cattle panels from tractor supple you could probably make up a shelter inside your run doing something similar.

Sorry for all the post. I keep thinking of something else after I submit.

View attachment 2866356
The temperatures and the snow won't hurt them. What is best is to provide a roost that is sheltered from the prevailing wind. They will also need shade even in the winter but the shade does not have to be over the roost.

The temperatures and the snow won't hurt them. What is best is to provide a roost that is sheltered from the prevailing wind. They will also need shade even in the winter but the shade does not have to be over the roost.
Good to know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom