worried first timer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newcknlover, Sep 12, 2010.

1. newcknlover

newcknlover New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    Mount Orab
    Hello,
    I am a first timer at raising day old chicks I have done all my reading and my chicks arrived Wednesday and two didn't look so great and they actually died shortly after arrival. (I ordered 5 and they sent 7) I did everything I thought I was supposed to, fresh water food temperature control and now another one has died 4 days old. The remaining 4 have grown and talk all the time run around like crazy unlike the 3 others. Now I am worried that my 4 remaining chicks won't make it. Is this common for day old chicks to die. I wasn't really prepared for the death of 3 chicks. If all the other are growing like crazy and look healthy do you think they will be ok?

2. Moonchild

Moonchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Spartanburg,SC
    I'm a newbie also!! and I'm very sorry to hear about your lose.. I put pedialyte in their water to help the stress level of the new arrivals. Try that and if the others act perky you shouldn't have any more problems. I worry about my chicks all the time they are 4wks old and just went to coop!! Take care and Hopefully all will be well. It could have just been that those chicks where weak and unhealthy.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry. But that is why they sent 7... these things happen. [​IMG] You ordered 5 and now you have 4... so that is not so bad. They will be fine and you will be fine... and some electrolytes would be good for them. Good luck with your new babies. [​IMG]

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    With so few birds to start with, it is a huge loss. It happens to all of us...I've had a few die soon after hatch for no apparent reason. Keep an eye on your 4 chicks and don't stress. It sounds like they are doing well!

5. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I lost one as well after 3 days, but my other 4 are doing great! Sometimes they just don't seem to thrive. I tried everything and just couldn't save her. Enjoy the rest of your brood!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by